Is Joomla recommended?

Community Forums/General Help/Is Joomla recommended?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello

I recently knocked together a little website for somebody (not games-related) with Joomla 2.5 and once over the initial "learning cliff" I found it really easy to use.

My own site is due for a major overhaul - is it worth using something like Joomla/Drupal, or am I better off just writing it from scratch? CMS appeals to me because it's so much easier to maintain things that way.

Yan(Posted 2013) [#2]
Do you really need something as powerful and complex as Joomla or Drupel?

Wouldn't something like WordPress* be more suitable?

*There are lots of easy to use, lightweight CMSs about theses days.

Henri(Posted 2013) [#3]
If you find it easy to use and produce then why not ? I have a habit to write from scratch, but nowadays it's probably not wise.

-Henri

Zethrax(Posted 2013) [#4]
I haven't used Joomla for a while but all the sites I've made with it in the past eventually seemed to self-destruct when the sites were left to themselves. Pages displayed incorrectly or had page components that stopped working, etc.

Gabriel(Posted 2013) [#5]
I don't know of any reason not to use Drupal or Joomla but as Yan says, there are much more lightweight CMSs around that probably do everything you want. I run both of my sites off Wordpress. Between plugins and themes, it gives you a surprising amount of control and flexibility.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#6]
Just make sure you keep it up to date...

My site was hacked because I installed Joomla years ago to have a look at it and forgot about it, only for it to bite me as the hacker used an exploit in the php to get into my site :(

Derron(Posted 2013) [#7]
Every prominent software is getting hacked sooner or later. So a custom home brewn software (or "light cms") might be better - exception is if you cannot code safely and are attackable by simple exploits/scanner scripts.

The best and easiest thing (if you are the only editor of the site) is offline editing + pushing the changes to your website. So the website is mainly "static" and the dynamic parts are not accessing thing only a backend should be able to access. Without "user interactability" you have way less security holes.

@Joomla:
I wouldn't use a prefabricated cms for really complex websites ... they tend to force the programmer to extend their code using custom template-languages etc. Also you have to use predefined hooks to get your content in specific areas of the page etc.
So you end up coding months to get your idea into reality. The same time you could code your own scripts.
Use Joomla if you know you can use your custom code again for other projects - aka you are a web-agency.

bye
Ron