Video frame editor

Community Forums/General Help/Video frame editor

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#1]
I need something where I can go into the video, edit various sets of frames in Photoshop, and then remake it. I think that kind of process would proabably work with exclusivly bmps and avis, but I'm not sure. I actually made a program like this with Blitz3d some time ago, but I'm a little afraid to use it. With so many frames being processed so fast, I don't want to fry another computer cause of my beginners programming finesse! Actually, I guess I could do what other video editing programs do and make it process slowly, but it's a lotta work for something I only need now, and possibly again down the road a piece, so I thought I'd take a crack at asking you guys since you probably have a lot more combined knowledge of what programs exist than I do.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
If you toasted your computer with a Blitz3D program, it probably had something badly wrong with it to begin with (like being badly overclocked).

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#3]
I've always wondered about it actually. I never made any modifications to the hardware, but I did have a pretty complicated program. It was a 3d animation editor, and once I got it working pretty well at the testing phase of 3 frames, I... went right up to the finished phase of 30 frames. After I hit f5, the screen was black for waaay longer than usual, then I smelled burning plastic. But then the editor came up, and it worked! I turned it off, and found out the 4 prong power plug that goes to motherboard had 2 prongs that were burnt. The computer worked for about a week after that.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
That sounds like the CPU power connector. My money would be on a faulty PSU there, and the rest being coincidental.

[edit] I once had a cheap WinPower PSU that caused the main fusebox in my house to trip off randomly - even if the computer wasn't switched on (but with the computer plugged in and the wall socket switched on). Took me months to track that bugger down, and I only managed it because after yet another power outage, I went to turn the computer on and it didn't work. Eventually I dismantled the PSU and found that a fuse inside it (one of the glass ones) had completely exploded. Replaced the PSU, power never tripped off again.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#5]

Eventually I dismantled the PSU

(:O

This coming from a guy who won't leave the side of his PC open for fear of electric shock?!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#6]
omg don't try this at home kids ;)

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#7]
I worry plugging it in. Unless you do it fast, that little arc you get sometimes scares me! And they say keep static electricity away, good grief.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#8]
With so many frames being processed so fast, I don't want to fry another computer cause of my beginners programming finesse

Any halfway decent computer should be able to run for weeks on end at 100% load with no ill effects... If a program can 'fry' a computer, it had issues to begin with.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
This coming from a guy who won't leave the side of his PC open for fear of electric shock?!
Not being *completely* stupid, I didn't dismantle it with the power on, obviously, and I did check there was no residual power in it first.

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#10]
Interesting, are you saying a computer cannot overexert itself? I've actually fried 3 computers in my life, 1 was by a hardware cooling problem, and the other 2 had to have been by programs. With the first, I had as many of those little zip compressors windows as would fit on my desktop running, which was 4, and this recent one with the 3d animation editor I already described. Now the video making program I'm afraid to use could technically throw together thousands of bmps very quickly, but the most I ever dared to do was 30, seeing that it did do them so quickly. Please explain this 100 percent thing to me a bit more, I'm fascinated by computer science, but too lazy to study it. No, sometimes I just like to wonder about things, and learn about them as they come to me. Like when I first heard about the absolute origin of the computer term "bug". Does anyone else know it?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#11]
If the CPU gets too hot, your PC will shut down to protect itself.

Are you using anything like a surge protector to stabilise your power supply? A program would not cause your computer to die, unless there was something very very wrong with it already. And because you say you've had three of them go the same way, it makes me think that there has got to be an outside influence, or something else consistent across all of the PCs that have toasted themselves.

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#12]
Had a friend that kept frying computers. Discovered that the electrical wiring in his house wasn't grounded properly. The problem was gone once an electrician fixed the wiring. Do your lights tend to flicker when the A/C and fridge kick on at the same time?

zzz(Posted 2013) [#13]
By 100% they mean cpu load. Basically a idle cpu will throttle down, which means it will have a moderate power draw. Under full load it will need considerably more power, and since this all translates to heat, insufficient cooling will "fry" the cpu.

Like gfk said, cpus will most likely shut down as a protective measure when they reach critical temperatures. This is a fairly new feature though, and it might or might not be enabled (in bios etc) even if the chip have support for it. If you have a old chip it might quite literally catch on fire, but afaik the usual signs of more modest overheating damage is the chip behaving like its on a unstable oc even under acceptable temperatures and clocks.

What you described sounds more like a psu issue though, and gfk/tomtoad is probably on the right track here :) Altough a poor quality psu might go haywire by itself and fry things when its under too much load.

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#14]
Thanks so much. I have a nice surge protector that even has a varyingly flickering amber light, which I assume is to show me the irregularities it's taking care of. I had to gunfight Windows 8 off my new computer, so I'm a little familiar with the bios. Would you mind telling where auto shutoff is toggled? I don't recall seeing it anywhere. Wow, this topic's branched off a lot, but I think that's good. If I can feel more secure, maybe I can just fire up that old video frame editor I made. In the meantime, still no one knows of a good one? By the way, the first computer bug was an actual living bug, a moth that landed on a light representing a 1, thus rendering the light and the moth a very undesirable 0.