I hate my PoS iPad :/

Community Forums/General Help/I hate my PoS iPad :/

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
I don't use my iPad2 much, but I used to use it regularly until it intermittently couldn't see my router (or any of the neighbour's routers either).

I used to reset the router, and that sometimes worked, but now it cannot see any networks whatsoever. I tried all the usual stuff; reset iPad, reset network settings, manually enter WiFi settings, change router wifi channel etc.

Then I discovered that if I go and stand three feet away from the router, I can connect to the network. But having to stand that close completely defeats the purpose of having a wifi-enabled device.

I have numerous other PCs, phones etc that all connect to wifi perfectly, including my desktop PC which I'm currently on, with the iPad right next to me, completely oblivious to the router's existence.

Why would the iPad's wifi range completely fall off like this? It always used to work with the exact same router but now, it is hopeless.

Any advice before I take a hammer and smash this bloody rotten thing to bits (advice other than "get a hammer and smash the bloody rotten thing to bits").

iprice(Posted 2013) [#2]
Before you smash it, I'd happily pay postage...

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#3]
Me too :)

I wouldn't care if Wifi doesn't work - as long as I could test my games on it :)

That gave me an idea... what about a topic where people post 'useless junk' they have, and other just 'ask politely' to grab them??

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#4]
Have you ever done a scan of your room with something like Wifi analyzer (Free app for Android, not sure if there's an ipad version) to see what signals you can pick up?

In my livingroom I can see 15+ wifi hotspots, and my wifi connection got a LOT more stable when I locked it to a fixed low-usage channel. (By default the router kept trying to find the best channel on its own, but thanks to the many other routers chatting all over the place it meant that it was continuously jumping channels -- which in turn caused numerous hiccups and interruptions on the wireless devices associated with it.

wifi analyzer helped me handpick the best channel, and forcing the router to stick to it meant that the connection was a lot more stable (albeit perhaps not super fast all the time -- but reliability trumps speed in my book)

Meanwhile, half my neighbors are trying to out-yell one another on the default channel 6, which must have spectacularly crappy reception by now.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#5]
They make good doorstops and paperweights. (especially the V3... its thicker and heavier)

Mine however can see the router and is currently velcroed to the toilet wall to watch netflix and youtube toilet humour on (one of the few uses i have for it)

*(Posted 2013) [#6]
Could be an apple update to force ya to upgrade, before ya say anything I wouldn't put it past em :-)

Iowalien(Posted 2013) [#7]
why not buy a used motherboard off craigslist or ebay?

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#8]
Sounds to me like something wrong with the antennae.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#9]
"You're holding it wrong!" -- Steve Jobs

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#10]
Have you done an iOS update lately? I find some firmwares work better with certain routers.