I need some accounting software

Community Forums/General Help/I need some accounting software

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
I've already looked at:

Sage One - didn't like it.
VT Cashbook - OK, but the website does not inspire confidence.
FreeAgent - Great, but pricey.
GNUCash - Good, free, open source.

I kind of like the concept of doing accounts online. I particularly like FreeAgent because it treats me like an accounting dunce, which I am. But is that worth £300 a year? Possibly not.

I will be using it for a limited company, and I'm currently the only employee.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
Don't know about the UK, but here in the US QuickBooks seems to be the most commonly used.

http://www.intuit.co.uk

Htbaa(Posted 2013) [#3]
I'm using GNUCash myself. I like it but it does take a bit to learn it. But maybe that was just me not knowing what I was doing.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
I'm the same. I've always used single entry in the past as a sole trader but I'm having to get my head around double entry accounting. Really just to make things more readable when it comes to churning out balance sheets and the like. Also I don't have an accountant yet, and never had one in the past. But I'll need one for my companies house return and don't want to look a complete tool with my accounts scrawled on bits of paper in green crayon. I'd like to do a reasonable job, and I figure I'll save money in the long run if the accountant can make immediate sense of what I've written down. Hence my need for proper software.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
After using up almost all of my free trial with FreeAgent, I've decided not to use it.

The bank feed - the biggest plus point for FreeAgent, simply does not work. I've set up data services with the bank and enabled it all in Freeagent, and absolutely nothing is happening, despite their customer services people telling me to wait (and wait... and wait...). So I just shut my account down. It's a pity as FreeAgent is otherwise very good, but I'm not sure it's worth the £25/month + VAT.

Going with GNUCash for now. I understand it pretty well as I've used Microsoft Money for years and it isn't much different. Plus it's free.