CPU power connector on motherboard

Community Forums/General Help/CPU power connector on motherboard

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#1]
Ok so my new mobo, has an old style CPU power connector.. the 4 pin kind in a square (2x2) grid.

My PCU connector from my new PS has the 8 pin kind in a (2x4) grid

Now I read somewhere I can just connect either half of the 8 pin and be fine..

How many of you agree with the statement below... ?

Even if it wasn't a 4+4, you could still just only plug in half of the 8 pin connector. It would still work the same.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
I'm not even sure what a CPU power connector is, unless you mean the CPU fan?

[edit] Never mind, just googled it.

Don't want to be Captain Obvious, but did you read the manual that came with your motherboard? I'd imagine it'll tell you in there. If all else fails, email the manufacturer. I wouldn't just wing it with what you've read on the internet. I did that with a mobile phone once, and bricked it.

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#3]
Well I wish I could , it only came with a small sheet with pictures of peoples hands connecting each part. no power output details , the only detail is in the HDD busy light, and Reset light indicator pins

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
That's odd. I've never had a motherboard that didn't come with an extensive manual, detailing everything from jumper switches to the BIOS.

What sort of board is it? There might be a manual online for download.

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#5]
MSI H61M-P31/W8
good idea ill google up a manual (fingers crossed), and pdflite installing

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-P31-W8.html#/?div=Manual

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#7]
ok thanks.. im feeling pretty confident.. apparently they are set up with one entire side ground, and the other entire side + 12 and since the molexes are keyed in shape you cant mispin them.. Thank god

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
It doesn't really help, that I can see, though it does say that Pins 1 and 2 are Ground, and the other two (nearest the clippy bit) are both +12V.

Looking at wiring diagrams for the 8-pin plugs, one row of pins is all Ground (black), the other row is all +12V (yellow). So yes, it will be fine to plug it in, if it will fit. If it won't (because capacitors are in the way or whatever), you would have to get a 8-pin to 4-pin adapter, which your local PC bits shop will sell for a couple of $$.

If it were me, I'd play safe and get an adapter.

Disclaimer: On your own head be it.

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#9]
Its in the plug entry shape.. not indicated well on the diagram. they are keyed so you can only insert the plug with the proper orientation , insuring ground is on the proper side. and since ground and +12 are on opposite sides all the way across you will never insert a +12 on ground or vice versa and thats all that matters. since they are the only two used lines (grnd and +12)

would be different story if the key system was responsible for more than two line options. such as +12 -12 +5 and ground, ect.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
Yeah that's why I was initially wary, as the pin assignments aren't always clear and obviously you could cause irrepairable damage if you get it wrong.

Just a thought - does your 8-pin connector split in half to give you two 2x2s?

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#11]
When I bought a new PS a couple of years ago, I had the same problem. Turns out that the 8 pin was made to snap in half for 4 pin boards. You might want to check it to see if yours is the same.

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#12]
Edit:

Ok well yes you are right, they did snap apart.. it wasnt obvious until I tried though the snaps were very flush with the rest of the connector and very tiny.

Live and learn.. Thanks