XBox 360 Question

Community Forums/General Help/XBox 360 Question

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I haven't really kept up on the entire console side of things (have an old wii and an ouya), and have some questions regarding the xbox that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

My son is really interested in an xbox + kinect.

There's no way I'm paying what they're asking for the xbox one, which means that it'll be the xbox 360. However, it looks like there are a whole bunch of versions:

The 'E', the 'S', 250Gb, 4GB, ...?
There seems to be a not insignificant price difference between the 4Gb and the 250GB, but... do you NEED that extra storage space for typical use? Can the 4GB still play all/most games, or is it really limiting to get that version?

(I do have a TV with HDMI, and both Wi-fi and ethernet available)

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#2]
I cant speak about the xbox specifically but my console experience has been . get the largest HD space they have because you eventually start buying games on their store when you are too lazy to drive out for the disk version. :).. what do average games go for on 360.. about 2-5 gigs each ? much more if its an rpg or COD type of game, but I suppose if your confident you wont buy full games on the HDD .. space isnt as important.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#3]
I've never used an xbox myself, so I have no idea how common it is for games to write stuff to HDD... That's why I'm asking.

Is it an optional "it'll be faster" kind of thing, or is it "write to HDD or I refuse to run!"?

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
I've got the Xbox special edition. With this you get the Xbox S (aka slim) with built in WiFi, Kinect, 250GB HD, wireless controler, head set, standard composite AV cable and Kinect Adventures game.
A few things to be aware of...

First thing is get a HDMI cable as composite can make some games look blurry.
You will need a large room to use the Kinect as you to stand need 6-8 feet away from the sensor and it needs to be 2-6 feet off the floor. The sensor will also have problems detecting movement if there is a bright light behind you.

You should read about the "RED RING OF DEATH" before you buy.

And as RifRaf says
get the largest HD space they have because you eventually start buying games on their store when you are too lazy to drive out for the disk version. :).. what do average games go for on 360.. about 2-5 gigs each ? much more if its an rpg or COD type of game, but I suppose if your confident you wont buy full games on the HDD .. space isnt as important.

Matty(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hope I'm not derailing the thread - but this should be relevant to xlsior as well - I'm curious myself -

when the original Xbox was superceded by the 360 there were no new games for it, and it basically disappeared from the shelves.

Is the same thing planned with the 360?

Gabriel(Posted 2013) [#6]
Is it an optional "it'll be faster" kind of thing, or is it "write to HDD or I refuse to run!"?

The former, for disc-based titles, but I'd highly recommend it nevertheless. The performance difference can be pretty huge. There are a lot of download only games too, in which case you won't possibly manage with 4GB.

s the same thing planned with the 360?

Depends how quickly people take up the new console. Most third party publishers are not keen to commit to the next gen consoles yet and are releasing on both (eg: X360 and XBone, PS3 and PS4) but I wouldn't expect to see a huge number of new releases after the end of this year. Things like Fifa and Madden which can be scaled back adequately might still come out on X360 and PS3 next year, and smaller publishers - particularly Japanese publishers will still be localizing existing PS3 games but Microsoft won't be keen for the X360 to be too well supported or people won't want to upgrade.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#7]
You should read about the "RED RING OF DEATH" before you buy.

Why? RROD has not been an issue since the slim appeared (2010 IIRC), which designed the heat problems out. I don't think it even can display the RROD any-more either?

Winni(Posted 2013) [#8]
I usually install the games onto the HDD. It reduces the load times of the games and the noise of the Xbox 360 significantly.

The storage is also used for downloadable content. For example, I bought Far Cry 3, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and some indie games in Microsoft's store. Other people rent or buy movies or other stuff - that's what you need the hard disk for.

I wouldn't buy an Xbox (or any other console) without a disk drive.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#9]
Why? RROD has not been an issue since the slim appeared (2010 IIRC), which designed the heat problems out. I don't think it even can display the RROD any-more either?
A mate of mine has a repair shop and he's had a few slims in with over-heating problems. Now when it over heats it gives you a on screen warning, shuts down and wont let you restart until it's cooled down and now instead of a ring you get a red dot. And it wasn't just heating problems with the XBox 360, there was a issue with lead-free solder joints failing.

A google search will show loads of things related to the RROD and Red dot.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#10]
Even if the xbox 360 disappears of the shelves in the near future, there's already a massive volume of existing games out there that aren't going to go anywhere... (Other than ebay, that is)