Setting up RAM in BIOS

Community Forums/General Help/Setting up RAM in BIOS

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello.

I just bought an Asus motherboard, and 32GB of 2400 RAM to sit on it.

I had left everything on Auto in BIOS, but it was setting the RAM speed to 1333. So I did a bit of Googling and enabled XMP (extreme memory profiling) in BIOS, and set the RAM target speed to 2400MHz. This didn't work, it said "memory overclock failed" (or something to that end).

So I knocked it back to 2133MHz, and it now works. Given that I was previously running 8GB of 1333MHz RAM, it's a hell of an improvement and Windows Experience Index (for what that's worth) rates the RAM speed at 7.9... but I'd like to get that extra bit out of it.

The board I have supports up to 2400MHz RAM (so it says). It's an Asus P8Z77-V LX2, and the RAM is Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz (4 x 8GB)

Quite happy to stick with it at 2133MHz if that's as far as it goes, but just wondering as this overclocking lark is alien to me.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
XMP should automatically set the manufacturer's rated speed of the memory -- did you manually change it over to 2400 after enabling XMP, or is that what it suggested by itself?

Also, did you read the entire chapter on memory in the motherboard manual to see if there are any other restrictions? I also have an asus motherboard, and remember seeing that for my motherboard model the max memory speed was only available if you left half of the DIMM slots empty, if they were all populated it maxed out at a slightly lower speed.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#3]
You might be right there. I'll check that tomorrow.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#4]
Note that the performance difference will be near-imperceptible anyway. For example, take a look at these benchmark numbers, which compare an identical machine with 1333 vs 2133 MHz memory configurations:

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/intel_sandy_bridge_sockel_1155_quadcore/index37.php

The difference between 2133 and 2400 in your machine will be even smaller.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#5]
32GB??? Wow!

I'm still on 6GB! But this PC has been going strong since 2009 and I've only ever upgraded the GPU and added a SSD :)

big10p(Posted 2013) [#6]
I just have 3GB. What are you guys needing all this RAM for? Or, is just because it's cheap?

I tend to agree with xlsior on the memory overclocking thing. i.e. probably not worth doing.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
I'm working on some 3D stuff just now which is upto about 350,000 polys and loads of textures. Task Manager was showing that I was down to the last 400MB of RAM out of 8GB, and virtual memory was kicking in. So I was originally going to go for 16GB, but then I thought "sod it, I'll futureproof a bit", and just got 32GB.

The only gripe now is that my 120GB SSD is almost full.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#8]
Makes sense, GfK. I guess I don't need much RAM as all I seem to do these days is bum around on the interweb. :P

Jason W.(Posted 2013) [#9]
Check ASUS's site for any updates or software for that motherboard.

Jason

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
Already did, updated the BIOS yesterday.

I'll leave it as it is. Its not like i've got speed issues.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#11]
GfK: when it comes to SSD, having a drive that's almost full will give you a massive performance decrease due to the way SSD's erase/reuse sectors for writing.

I have a 240GB SSD in my machine now, and it's still 'fast'. My original 128GB SSD got very noticably slower over time as it started filling up.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#12]
Just done some digging around and saved myself 6GB of space by ditching all the system restore stuff that happened during the first two days of setup.

I then found out something about my motherboard. Apparently it uses "Intel Smart Response Technology", which is alleged to speed up your system BUT it requires 18GB of hard drive space minimum which it uses as a cache. I know that's installed - I remember doing it (because it was on the CD and I didn't know what it was).

So that'll be going tomorrow.

And another thing I discovered - my board supports RAID 0, so there's nothing to stop me adding in another 128GB SSD, effectively giving me a 256GB system drive.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#13]
Actually, screw it. Just ordered a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for £150. There are cheaper drives of that size but the write speed is woeful, some are 130MB, whereas the one I chose is 500MB.

Although 130MB would still be significantly better than your average HDD.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#14]
We have the Samsun 830 256GB, great drive!

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#15]
I would love a board that could support 128gb ram that wasn't prone to failure. Any manufacturers out there listening? If anyone has any recommendations I'm listening. :)

Don't ask my why I need that much either I just do trust me.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#16]
NJote that going RAID-0 will apeed things up initially, but over time you could see a massive performance decrease since most of the current TRIM implementations will not work on RAID volumes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

(TRIM does the behind-the-scenes housekeeping to keep your SSD speedy by doing garbage collection and pre-emptive maintenance)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#17]
I am a liar.

What I actually ordered was a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (po-tay-to, po-tar-to), which just arrived and is now up and running in less than ten minutes thanks to Windows Backup. One thing I didn't expect, though, was that the restored drive was only 120GB - it left the rest of it as unallocated space. So I had a bit of fannying to do in disk manager, but it's sorted now.

I now have three spare SSDs that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with. 1 x 120GB Samsung 840 Pro, and 2 x OCZ Agility 3 120GB.