Computer asks me what OS to boot...

Community Forums/General Help/Computer asks me what OS to boot...

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
One of my PCs has started doing this recently (out of the blue, no updates or anything). But the thing is, I only have Windows 7 on this particular PC - it's never been dual-boot.

The only option I get, is to boot Windows 7, obviously. Because that's all that's on it. It doesn't even autoboot after X seconds, it just sits there until I hit Enter.

I have no idea why it's started doing this, or how to stop it.

It's hardly a show-stopper, but it's really annoying.

Clues?

Yan(Posted 2013) [#2]

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#3]
Maybe the battery of the motherboard is dead and the bios settings can't be saved, so this is why it displays this screen ?
I've had a similar thing happening on one old computer.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
There are a number of things that can cause this to happen ranging from a virus to hardware that's starting to fail.
First thing to look at would be the system configuration by running msconfig and seeing if any thing is a miss. Then have a look Start up and Recovery that's found in Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings>Advaced Tab (short-cut right click computer>properties for system dialog) and see if the Time to display operating/recovery options have been set.
While in this dialog box in the System failure section un-check Automatically restart as if your computer crashes for no reason and gives you a blue screen you wont see it (came across a computer that blue-screened after Windows shut down once). Another thing I would do is run chkdsk on all the drives in the system as well as running a memory checker.
If you think it's malware and your security suite install disk has it's own bootalbe virus scanner then try that as well.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#5]
Try right-clicking on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced, look at the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom, click Settings and look at the System startup section.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks for the help. Finally got around to looking at it last night, and would you believe the bloody thing has stopped doing it? All back to normal.

Probably something to do with a ropey Windows update. Dunno.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
Stupid question, but did you by any chance have a USB flashdrive attached to the computer?

My previous machine's boot always got thrown off by that.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#8]
Disable boot to usb in the bios and it should clear that up. Unless you're planning to do some test runs with Linux off a thumbstick.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
Unless you're planning to do some test runs with Linux off a thumbstick.
I do have that on my "to do list". But it's way down the bottom, just below selling my soul to Beelzebub, and shoving a handful of wasps up my arse. Sideways.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2013) [#10]

and shoving a handful of wasps up my arse. Sideways.

Ah yes, the old handful of wasps trick. Available in all local stores now.
Yes sorry, I had nothing exciting and useful to add this thread. Bye.