2 Questions about Copyrights

Community Forums/General Help/2 Questions about Copyrights

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#1]
First, is it legal to use those logos like Dolby(r) Surround on your product boxes?

Second, I got a pc with no os, but with the original label by ms, containing the product serial key. Am I allowed to get a copy of vista for it? If so, where, and how would I re-activate the os. The cpu and board are original, but not the harddrive. Harddrives die frequently, so there should be a way to reactivate it??
Thanks.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
According to this, you need to apply to use the logo. It takes a few weeks, but it's free once they OK it.

About the Vista thing - I bought numerous licences for Windows 7, Vista and XP over the years. I tend to download a new ISO already containing Service Pack x (which you can find for yourself, I'm not posting links) of the OS simply to save myself the inconvenience of reinstalling the OS, then 90 million updates/service packs. Just mind you don't accidentally download a cracked (or otherwise messed about with) version.

I'm baffled as to why Microsoft do not provide such downloads themselves. Also, I'd quite like to see an actual disc containing the OS, shipped with new PCs, instead of this cock-arsed "recovery partition" trend that does nothing but waste my hard drive space, and allow me to reinstall all the manufacturer crap I already uninstalled.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2013) [#3]
"My hard drive died."
"use the recovery partition on the hard drive to get it back up and running."
"But my hard drive died."

I know that the vista label on the dead pc is meant for that pc, but I don't think Microsoft or Vista itself would know or care that I could install Vista on another pc using the same number, well in my case it would be slapping the drive in another case if it weren't for the fact I bought new.

It's been a long time since I've seen audio CD's with the Audio CD logo, I think the only reason DVD distributor's pay for the logo still is so they don't get confused with blu ray, even then I only seem to see them on larger studio releases.

(not read gfk's link)
Bear in mind you might end up having a huge shopping list of credits where credit is due regarding who owns which logo trademark and registered trademark.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#4]
According to this:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/01/8730/

the OEM version is supposed to be tied to the motherboard it first installed on, so replacing the HDD should be OK.

One potential caveat: I don't know if it's still the same for Vista, but XP serials would only be accepted by media that's in the same catergory as the license -- e.g. OEM key will only work with OEM disc, retail key only with retail disc, corporate key only with corporate disc.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#5]
As far as why no recovery CD/DVD is shipped: It's no problem to do so, although for consumer level equipment most manufacturers would rather save a few dollars than bother bundling it. they rather sell grandma a new computer when her hard drive dies than make it easy for her to replace just the part to get her computer working again.

For example, Dell won't typically give you the Windows CD with their consumer computers, but they are bundled by default with the enterprise/business machines. (With the added bonus that those don't have the shovelware pre-installed that comes with the consumer ones...)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks a lot. Good to know about the dolby thing... these days an artist stands with one foot in prison already.

I understand your point. my bandwith is pretty low, so that would be uncomfy (is that a word?) too. but it's definitely a good idea to make some images of useful installls, like clean os, updates and a set of tools for the special purpose of the machine, like eg. video editing.
Still don't know if reactivation would work.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
reactivation will work -- and even if the automated one won't, MS will activate it for you over the phone for you as long as you don't have the same key active on any other PC's.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#8]
For your vista key you shoudl be able to get hold of a download that supports your key (legally). Bear in mind that MS keys are fairly complex and take into account all sorts of stuff like regions, version, oem, etc....

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks. The situation is simple. Somebody gave me his machine, but the harddrive was trashed. I know its vista home hasic edition, from my region.

I have an other question. I think I remember somebody said it is allowed to install a windows xp license on one desktop machine and additionally on one laptop... is that true? And do they still activate xps at all?
Thanks.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#10]
Yes, MS still activates Windows XP (They better -- it still has a 37% marketshare today, and is officially supported by MS until April 2014)

As far as installing the same copy on a laptop + desktop simultaneously: I'm almost certain that's against their license.. They used to allow install on a laptop + desktop for older versions of office provided you don't use them at the same time, but I'm pretty sure that never applied to their actual operating systems themselves.