Free video capture?

Community Forums/General Help/Free video capture?

big10p(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is there a decent FREE alternative to Fraps that will let me record a video of game play, along with game sounds and realtime narration via a mic?

Thanks.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
http://camstudio.org/

big10p(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks. I'm also trying out ezvid. Be interesting to see which is best.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thanks GfK. Just what I need.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#5]
Any tips on getting Camstudio to work properly? Everything I try just seems to end up with jerky/low framerate videos. :/

I'm using the Lagarith Lossless Codec and just trying to capture a PS1 emulator running in a 640x480 window.

Any tips/help?

Yan(Posted 2013) [#6]
You do have to play around a lot with the codec and video settings to get reasonable results from CS. Personally, I find it a bit flaky.

I've taken to using Open Broadcaster Software for my, very occasional, screen recording. It's really intended for live streaming so it's a little bit fiddly to set up and the audio/visual codec support is very limited, but I've found it to be rock solid in use.

Perhaps I'm just old and jaded, maybe even paranoid, but the ezvid site set alarm bells ringing. I won't be downloading it.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yeah, ezvid is bad. They basically make it so they own any video you make with it and put on youtube. Uninstalled.

I'll have a look at Open Broadcaster. Thanks.

P.S. I'm old and jaded too - and grumpy and impatient, which is why I just installed it without caring, really. I just wanted something that works, dammit! :P

big10p(Posted 2013) [#8]
At last, something that works! Open Broadcaster is a great free, opensource app. Thanks Yan!!! :)

ima747(Posted 2013) [#9]
Side bar for mac users in case anyone dredges this up later (good info!). Quicktime will screen cap anything on the mac, performance will vary by system, but it's already installed so worth a shot.