Creating a Media Centre

Community Forums/General Help/Creating a Media Centre

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#1]
As well as some gaming and internet browsing on the tv, I quite like the idea of creating a media centre for films and music. I know how to set that up.

But I have to say I'm clueless when it comes to film content. I have DVDs bought from high street stores. Now I'm guessing it's illegal to somehow copy the DVD to a hard drive (even though I bought the DVD) and perhaps not possible due to protection systems.

So how do people build themselves a film library?

big10p(Posted 2013) [#2]
By using a DVD ripper, as we discuss in this thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=100689#1191244
The good rippers are able to bypass protection.

I don't know if it's technically illegal to rip DVDs that we own, but frankly, I couldn't give a toss if it is. If it's just for my personal use, I don't see the problem. Besides, the last Blu-ray discs I bought actually came with a digital version to put on phones, PC or whatever.

andy_mc(Posted 2013) [#3]
I use a program called handbrake to rip from DVD's, it works really well and required hardly any technical knowledge. You also need to install a program called DVD-x I think it's called. Which disables the copy protection on the DVD to allow you to rip it.

XBMC is some free very good software to use as a media centre solution on your PC, and can be remote controlled from your smartphone!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#4]

I don't know if it's technically illegal to rip DVDs that we own, but frankly, I couldn't give a toss if it is. If it's just for my personal use

Thought as much lol, and agree with you.

I just want the convenience of selecting various films from the mini wireless keyboard/mouse controller I have in mind for a XBMC setup. Rather than searching through a heap of my purchased DVDs and putting the disc in, perhaps changing my mind and repeat...thanks guys.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#5]
Ordered a bunch of components...what monster will I create? ;)

big10p(Posted 2013) [#6]
Whatcha getting? I thought you already had all the stuff.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#7]
Well thought I should get a Linux box rather than Android, and always thought the Raspberry Pi was cool - based around that. Some neat components available for it now, and yes I do have a bunch of stuff to add to the mix :)

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#8]
Just know that the raspberry Pi is relatively slow, and won't be able to keep up with decoding most HD content... Should be fine with ripped DVD's, but forget about Bluray.

Yan(Posted 2013) [#9]
In case you haven't already seen it, useful information about using XBMC with the RasPi can be found here.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#10]
Yes, but it has the decoder hardware and I wouldn't want to burden it with more that it could handle.

It's on Linux, which is gradually impressing (yeah I'm a cynic). And I have a burning desire to create a particular machine from the Raspberry guys and what I have laying around here - like a Tb drive for a start :)

Thanks Yan.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#11]
Well my Raspberry pi arrived along with a cordless 15 cm keyboard/trackpad wifi dongle and you know what? I just feel like coding with it lol? See what I can do to push this basic system to it's limits with C++ and Opengl :)

And loving the piece and quiet...modern PC's are damn noisy with their loud fans, especially when it's hot like it is right now.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#12]
Steve, if you haven't done so it's worth checking out the MagPi magazine (free online). It's choc-full of groovie project ideas for your Pi.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thanks John, I'll check it out :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#14]
Loving this tiny computer, will be producing a case for it next few days and modding it...as well as running software on the tv through HDMI (which as you can expect is incredibly sharp for photos and games). Photos on a large screen are almost like being there :) I've now the option of connecting an old PC monitor using a DVI to HDMI cable. Works a treat. I feel good about recycling a dusk gathering monitor.

Yesterday I hooked it up to a spare 1Tb drive I had. All good :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#15]
My 2 Raspberry pi cases are arriving Monday. I love the tiny size of the Rasp, but think it needs a powered USB hub at least - then you can plug anything in (including massive external hard drives). I've already tried the 1Tb drive I have and the small powered 4 USB hub to add to the built-in 2 USB connections on-board - it's working well.

My plan is to glue 2 Rasp cases together, cut the USB hub wire to size (because they'll be on-top of each other so cable length should be minimal).

My wireless pocket sized keyboard/track pad is working well, as is the mini wifi dongle to connect to the internet. Although when coding on it I'll simply plug in my full size USB keyboard and mouse.

After that I'll look at emulation of arcade and old systems...can't let those old games die and be forgotten :) I have a tiny 32Gb USB drive for storing files.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#16]
While waiting for my cases I decided to setup MAME emulation on the Rasp (MAME4ALL Version). Works well. Even later arcade games like Street Fighter II Turbo work pretty good.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#17]
Show some Picture Steve :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#18]

Show some Picture Steve :)

lol I'm waiting until I produce my modded case for it.

And I've now realized I've bought the wrong version of the wireless keyboard! I should have ordered a UK Layout version...well I just assumed there was only 1...didn't see another version when I ordered...new version already ordered and this keyboard going back tomorrow.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#19]
Case modding is going well :D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#20]

When you want to create your own aquarium, they're not that useful.

Haha - so true, talking about locked down systems.

http://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/video/2013/jul/24/clive-beale-raspberry-pi-video

I know Apple have come back strong and are producing some good things. But do we really want to be locked into their closed-off hardware, with a limitation on what you are allowed to do with the product we buy from them?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2013) [#21]
(bookmarked)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#22]
Hmmm unsure what to do...I have the pi in a stealth case, but wanted to add a USB hub to it...now I've taken the hub apart till it's no more than a tiny circuit board and connectors.

This will now fit in the case along with the pi - great! Even though I'm not quite sure how to mount it...but should I really be doing that because it would cut down the airflow?

big10p(Posted 2013) [#23]
Is there any particular reason you want to integrate the hub? On my Android mod the hub is external and I prefer it that way. My device sits by TV with the hub and all it various connected devices tucked away in the cabinet below. Much neater.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#24]
Well because it makes it all one unit and much neater. No wires hanging off it, especially good because I do intend to move it about regularly. From the monitor upstairs down to the big tv downstairs - and also to display photos on other people's tvs.

My original idea was to glue another case (or half a case) on top and house the wiring from the usb hub - and the hub itself in there...might still do that.

[edit]
Well that didn't work so well because of wiring and case size. So I'm building my own case now out of things I had laying around.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2013) [#25]
Case building is going well, but quite a bit more work to do. The scope for the project has increased, so should be a cool unit when it's finally finished :)