Is there an app or service that does this ?

Community Forums/General Help/Is there an app or service that does this ?

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2013) [#1]
I can't seem to find something that does this but I can't believe it hasn't been done already.

I have a web server with oodles of storage (like a lot of people) which is provided by Justhost.

I have a LARGE music collection (30GB or so) which is a combination of ripped, downloaded, bought etc. largely MP3 with some OGG files.

I want to:

Be able to upload my entire collection and have any new additions automatically synchronised to my website.

I want to be able to stream any song to any device (iPhone, pad, windows device, Xbox etc.) via the web and (ideally) download a copy of any track at anytime from anywhere.

I would like to able to search for tracks and visualise them in collections and albums.

I would like to be able to bandwidth manage both client and server upload and download rates.

I want my entire collection to by encrypted an entirely private unless I allow someone else access and if I do allow others access I would like to be able to control the access.

Is there anything that can do all this?

The closest I can think of is a media server like Twonky but that would require me to have my own dedicated server, not just storage and there are other issues with it too.

Thanks,

Darkheart

big10p(Posted 2013) [#2]
I use Google Play Music for this.

https://play.google.com/about/music/

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#3]
Just an FYI: Keen in mind that many/most webhosting solutions that provide 'oodles of storage' explicitly do NOT allow you to use it to store non-web accessible data for backup purposes. I know that godaddy for example considers that a violation or their terms of service.

Being able to "stream any song to any device via the web" is going to be a tough one, considering that each device has their own capabilities and limitations... Especially since you also want access restrictions and encryption, it's going to be near impossible to meet all your requirements.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you're going to be able to do all of the above with just plain vanilla file storage, you're most likely going to have need some kind of media server software involved...

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#4]
Spotify/Pandora

BlitzSupport(Posted 2013) [#5]
I imagine something like ownCloud ought to do it -- sort of like your own managed Dropbox, and there's also a cross-platform music streamer for it. (NB. Never used ownCloud at all.)

There's also DropBox, of course, and there appears to be a music streamer for that too.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2013) [#6]
Owncloud is interesting but Google Play, Music seems to be the best and simplest solution. It's free and simple and it looks like they have an IOS app out soon and even then it plays fine in Safari.

Thanks for the info!

Darkheart