Optimum build PC

Community Forums/General Help/Optimum build PC

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#1]
Before I rebuild my PC I thought I'd ask what the Blitz community thought...

I am planning to install Ubuntu Mini as the boot OS in a small partition and install WINE and QEMU onto it and maybe Chrome for simple browsing and quick startup.

I will have one partition for data. I think this will need to be exFAT because I need >4GB data files and cross compatibility for multiple guest operating systems.

Within QEMU I will create guest Operating systems for testing (XP, Win7/8, Ubuntu, RaspberryPi, Android (and MAC if I can find an image).

Within WINE I will install:
DVDDecrypter (I use this to maintain my Media Library for OpenElec XBMC running on a Raspberry Pi)
Sins of a Solar Empire (Believed to work but not yet tested).

Blitzmax will be installed in Windows and Ubuntu and Lararus on Windows/Android..

Does this sound like a good setup or a nightmare?

Thanks in advance,
Si...

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#2]
Does QEMU do hardware accelerated 3D graphics?
For proper testing most software on windows that'd pretty much be a requirement.

(Also note that running OSX on non-apple hardware violated the apple license agreement. Even if you purchase a retail copy of OSX, it may not be legal to install on a PC depending on your jurisdiction, since Apple considers them 'upgrade' versions for the OS that came bundled/licensed with the Mac hardware)

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#3]
I don't do much 3D so it's not really something I have considered but I am aware there has been some work on it; take a look at this post regarding KVM:
[https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768]
I know someone who got the MAC OS running on a Dell PC, but in my instance it would be to compile/test a Blitzmax application rather than actually use it. Currently I have no intention of supporting the MAC-OS, but you never know whats around the corner...

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#4]
OSX works well in VirtualBox. I don't know the details but I think getting it running in a virtual machine isn't actually that hard, it's just a minor form of copy protection and there are patches for that just like anything else. Since you live in the EU you probably don't need to worry about the EULA hardware restriction as (I believe) it's generally considered a completely illegal and unenforceable clause.

Obtaining the image legally might be trouble though, as newer OSX versions are no longer sold on disc, instead going through the Mac App Store... which requires you to have a Mac in the first place. (You can still get Snow Leopard on DVD, but that's pretty dated by now and increasingly useless for development.)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#5]
it's generally considered a completely illegal and unenforceable clause

actually, Apple have violated the Sherman Antitrust Act when writing the Mac OSX license agreement, thus countering-out any lawsuit nonsense Apple may try to throw at you. not to mention OSX is based on FreeBSD's kernel's source code! It's completely legal.

if you want Mac on your PC, VirtualBox isn't the best option for optimal performance. Unless you want your VM to be extremely slow or crash constantly, you could easily install a legit copy of OSX using TonyMacX86 iBoot and install the latest Multibeast, then use Bootcamp to install Windows (install drivers matching your configuration, not the bootcamp drivers!)

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#6]
I don't do much 3D so it's not really something I have considered

Keep in mind, even Blitzmax is 2D-in-3D. Crappy 3D performance = crappy blitzmax performance, even in '2D'.

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#7]
Interesting about the OSX license; I'll probably buy some broken kit from ebay so that I have a valid license (and hopefully the disks) if I choose to install it at all. I'll be doing the same for Windows 8 because I refuse to pay £100 for something that is cr$$...!

Maybe I'll put blitzmax on the linux boot core, but most of the apps I write are utilities. They'll probably run quicker in a VM than on my ageing laptop anyway. lol...

AMD 64bit, Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" Minimal being installed this morning...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#8]
As far as windows 8 is concerned: buying a broken PC with an OEM windows 8 license won't do you any good either, since the license terms of the OEM license tie it to the hardware it was shipped with. (That's why the computer manufacturer can license it for ~$60 instead of paying full retail pricing)

According to the MS terms, you are not allowed to transfer an OEM license to a different computer to install, only the full-priced retail copies allow transfer to different hardware. (Although there is no technical limitations preventing you from activating an OEM key on another machine, it doe sviolate the license. Of course, whether or not this would ever hold up in court depends on your jurisdiction)

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#9]
By the way, buying a junker Mac wouldn't help you either, since you still have the 'can only be installed on Apple hardware' clause of the license.

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#10]
Doh!... Okay, Apart from the hell of licencing...

Has anyone had issues with QEMU running on Linux for emulating XP, etc...? with Blitzmax running on the virtual machines?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#11]
I don't recommend QEMU. it's unstable and buggy. VirtualBox or VMware Player is better for running XP. :)

BlitzMax (no non-ogl 3d modules) works fine under VBox and Qemu.