my video editor for android

Community Forums/General Help/my video editor for android

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#1]
I thought maybe someone can point me in a direction. You may know my video editor smk www.melog.ch/smk/ . Since I had to buy one of them smartphones, I am now thinking about to port smk to android. Any ideas for a path? Didn't Yasha release a b3d 2c tool (or was it the other way round?). Basicly what i need is something to read and write video frames from/to movies and demux/mux sound. The rest of the port would be pretty easy since smk uses very basic graphics commands.

How bout that monkey dude? That said, I'm trying to find a freeware system. Currently testing mosync. Any suggestions appreciated.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2013) [#2]
free powerful framwwork for android
https://code.google.com/p/libgdx/

Related textbook by the same author
Beginning android games 2nd edition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1430246774/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another alternative
Unity 4 free include pc, mac, web, basic ios, basic android.
http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi Sammy! Thanks a lot. I just realize: smk uses renderworld, so I may need ogl support. UNITY sounds good . I hear Shiva does support Android too. Mosync starts to suck: teases me with gps, sensors, sms, camera... But then refuses to detect the connected device :-[

Actually I may be able to replace Renderworld with software alphablending. Inline Asm or so.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hi jfk,

Don't use Shiva. Its development stopped. Many Shiva users complained and regretted buying this tool. :(

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#5]
I am trying to download libgdx, but the connection fails all the time.
One other thing is: I start to realize that android cannot be taken seriously as an OS. When running Programs are ended frequently for no obvious reason then I wouldn't call this multitasking. It's more of a joke than an OS imho.
Anyway, thanks for your help nevertheless.

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#6]
"When running programs are ended frequently for no obvious reason"

What does this mean??

You have apps crashing on your phone? Or, are you saying you app is being closed for no reason? Or, the ability of the phone to just close an app without warning, as in a call coming in or the user pressing the home button???

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#7]
They just vanish in the task manager. They don't crash. They are just ended because of being idle for some time. But there's more. Much more.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2013) [#8]
Would your program access memory directly to get this problem with android ndk? (I heard that it is quite difficult to use ndk and that's why some switch to libgdx where the author use ndk for speed)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#9]
I start realizing I'm a dinosour as I have no clue what ndk is... Guesing Android Development Kit?
I want to download libgdx, but download is interrupted after a few mb because I've got a slow connection here. I will try again.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#10]
I start realizing I'm a dinosour as I have no clue what ndk is...

Native Development Kit. It is for those who want to write part of their app using native code.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#11]
Ah - that. Thanks. So, native as in compatible with a certain hardware only, like ARM Processors (?) I'm afraid I'm still not gettin it :-|

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#12]
Native code is the new buzzword for machine code.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#13]
At least no need to learn Navacho then - tho that would be interesting too.
I managed to download libgdx after all, had to continue the download about two dozen times... I'll check it out asap, thanks everybody.

big10p(Posted 2013) [#14]
They just vanish in the task manager. They don't crash. They are just ended because of being idle for some time. But there's more. Much more.
Android has a built-in 'task killer' to free resources based on an apps priority. Your app probably has a low priority so, after a while of being idle, it's resources are flagged as being available for use by other processes with a higher priority. Note that your app probably hasn't been properly 'killed' - look in running processes in app manager and click on 'cached processes'. You'll probably see it there. This means it's still memory resident and can spring back to life if necessary without being reloaded, unless it's resources have been used by another process by then. It's just kind of dormant.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#15]
Sometimes it's the way you described it, but sometimes the apps simply seem to time out or so.
I mean this is just one misconception in a generally misconcepted UI. For instance if you hit the back systems button one time too much, the app quits. And context menus with RMB no need for that? Why do people use external keyboards for it? Because they mids the cutsor keys? Or this page. I cannt see what I type because the textfield is znder the keyboard thingy... No matter how I hold it. This is just a oversimplification imho. Alongcwith many bugs.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#16]
Sorry for the typos...correction almost impossible cause each time I try to position the cursor, the keyboard pops up and I have no idea where the cursor actually is. Plus, eve when I see the cursor, the input is sometimes in a mode that drags it immediatly offscreen as soon as i type. Bugous.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#17]
But as a conclusion "for now" I'd say something like swiss movie knife on android would be more like torture. May people use those 1-click automatic editing toys. A serious movie maker would rather use a real computer to edit his film. I have to say, a port to Linux
would still make sense. But as far s I see I'd better add functionality to the win version.

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#18]

And context menus with RMB no need for that?

The right click you can find on windows can be achieved on android, you have to touch somewhere and hold and a context menu will appear.

I have not tried your video editing software for windows yet, but i will.

If you decide to create a version of your video editing software for android, and depending on the functionalities you plan to add, i can help you to test it, and i have some suggestions for it.