Breakable walls deformable walls ?

Community Forums/General Help/Breakable walls deformable walls ?

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello,

I have seen this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1bbTCcBLU4

I think the render is really well done, and i wonder how it is done.

If i had to do a similar effect, a possible way would be to make the passage always exists and to add elements which obstruct the passage (rock parts and dirt parts) and each time a bomb explodes, some parts either move or are destroyed.

But it does not seem this render is done this way, it seems that the vertices of the rock wall are moved in the opposite direction of the explosion and some particles are created after each explosion. Then after some explosions, some parts of the rock wall are deleted and the dirt wall is visible. Then the vertices of the dirt wall are moved in the opposite direction of the explosion and some particles are created after each explosion. Then after some explosions, the dirt wall is deleted and a passage is created between this corridor/room and the other corridor/room
Easy to describe in words but it must be complicated to code something like this.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#2]
mmm, I saw this video a while back. If i remember correctly the map is voxel based

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#3]
Oh i see, so i guess it will be difficult to have the same render with vertices and triangles.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#4]
have a look at the developer blog:

http://www.kot-in-action.com/content/?tag=tomes-of-mephistopheles&paged=5

it shows the dungeon creation system working.

Whether it's voxel or straight 2d mapping, you would still need an engine (which they have created) to do the rendering down to vertex/triangle.

looking at the engine, it seems to be a standard render with lighting (no shadows - they are usually harder to implement) and particle effects.
They have also recently added some form of bump/displacement mapping - but say you need a powerful graphics card to use it well.

iprice(Posted 2013) [#5]
You can blow up the walls but you can't break down the door. :P

*(Posted 2013) [#6]
It seems to me from the video that the walls have two damage states and the dirt has two this when removed creates the 'squared' rooms beyond. It seems the whole thing is square based and just allows you to damage things according to location.