Part# for PS3 disk drive?

Community Forums/General Help/Part# for PS3 disk drive?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#1]
About three years ago, my brother inserted a PSP UMD into my PS3 and messed it up. In recent weeks, I have searched the PS3's hardware (internal) for problems. Having taken it apart countless times, and after examining the hardware, I found the problem. I need to get another drive to install in it to fix it because the inside of the drive Is basically minced meat. Where can I find the part number for it and where is the best place to buy replacement parts for sony products?

Thanks in advance!

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
There are loads on eBay.

ima747(Posted 2013) [#3]
Do some more research, I'm pretty sure that the drives are keyed to the system so you can't just swap in a new one. Consoles aren't pcs, they don't encourage opening the box in anyway and are not user serviceable. That isn't to say its impossible to resurrect a dead one, but it won't be as easy as just getting a new drive and calling it a day.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#4]
which is why I need to find one with the same part/serial number?
also, it isn't dead. it powers on, and can play digital sony titles, just leaves system scratches on discs and fails to read them at all.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Seems sony are just being jackasses. It never even crossed my mind that they would do that.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#6]
Seems sony are just being jackasses. It never even crossed my mind that they would do that.

what did they do? I a tat confused. What makes them jackasses?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#7]
You don't think that preventing the end user from doing their own repairs makes them jackasses? Because i do. I like fixing stuff.

Jesse(Posted 2013) [#8]
That's the same thing with the xbox360. I replaced mine a while back because it wasn't reading disks anymore so I ordered one on Ebay and had to swap the circuit board from the drives to get it to work with my xbox. I am guessing it's the same with the Playstation.

yeap!
[edit]

there is always a way.

ima747(Posted 2013) [#9]
That's it.

Nothing's impossible, but it's not just get a new drive and swap it in, and you can't get one that's the same serial number (serial numbers are for idetifying individual units, each is unique) and you need to find one of the same exact generation (or the controller might not work for it, they make slight changes constantly). The drive is keyed to the system (as it is in all consoles since the original xbox) so you have to "repair" the drive, or clone the drive onto a compatible model, or get a new main board with a matching drive.

Drive failure is common, and a pain to fix which is why there are so many really cheap PS3s on ebay with dead optical drives.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#10]
Oh, so it *is* possible, then? Subject to how far you're willing to go with the screwdrivers.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#11]
You could always buy a bricked PS3 (one with the flashing lights of death) from ebay that has a working drive, and try the drive in yours. Get one with the same model number if you can.

There are plenty of videos online to help you get in and out of the system.

I've had mine in pieces to bake the motherboard (using a heat-gun) to resurrect it from death once. And as if by magic, it worked !

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#12]
I like fixing stuff.

I LOVE fixing hardware. I enjoy the thrill of taking things apart and putting them back together (replacing, upgrading, customizing, etc).
@Brucey:
My PSP got bricked several times using CFW and unsigned homebrew. The solution I found was to set up a pandora's battery and "Magic" memory module to flash the firmware. I wonder if there is something like that for PS3?

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#13]
I did the same thing to an XBox 360 once. Used a heat gun on it and revived it for about 3 or 4 more months before if failed again. Never could revive it a second time.