Good site to find freelance artists for games

Community Forums/General Help/Good site to find freelance artists for games

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Anybody can recommend one?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
There's plenty of artists with portfolios over on IndieGamer.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks! That's what I was looking for!

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#4]
Just a note of caution. Be careful if making any agreement with artists. We had one on board recently who is not a "tech" artist and while she did some beautiful work, but towards the end of the project with her work completed we needed to tweak some graphics to technical requirements. We asked for the photoshop documents so we could separate the layers and the request was refused.
In a way i can respect that, it is kind of like their source code, but when you have someone sitting in your office and you are paying them a couple of grand you expect more.... access to material shall we say.

Make sure you are getting the original source material (exclusive or not)

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#5]
hmmm, there is no reason ever to have the photoshop documents. Unless your original specs we're wrong.
Separating layers (for whatever "technical" reason), means you want NEW artwork, or the artwork CHANGED. She's completely right...
There... I've said it :)

Derron(Posted 2013) [#6]
@Adam:
Agreement from my side.

If the sfx-producer should give you sounds of a cow or sounds of a running horse... you end up getting a wav/flac. If you want the sound to be slightly different the sfxer wont give you the coconuts he used to create that sound.

So the artist may have used "brushes" or "stamps" or even "truetypfonts" YOU are not having licenced so you are not able to use them.

The only method to use is: contract includes X sketches, Y alterations, exklusive right to use that product (exception may be the preview in the portfolio of the artist).
Also include the exact costs of additional alterations/variations so you can not get "robbed" later on.

The more contract work you offer/do the more you will learn from prior failures :p (worked "over a year" for a fixed price because I did not write all necessary things in the contract - but ok, they paid me some bonus afterwards as they learned too).

bye
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#7]
Psionic's 3D Game Resources
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#8]
@derron adam
Having an artist contracted to you as part of a dev team is not the same as hiring someone to draw you a few pictures.
-imagine hiring someone to work as part of your dev team and have them refuse to give up their source code.

Anyway my point was not who is wright or wrong in our case, more a warning of being careful with artistic contracts as you could end up paying someone several grand for unusable material.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#9]
Sorry for misinterpretation.
Thought we are talking about contract-work. In the case of your artist being an "employee" of your company you will have to state in the employees contract that all work done "at work" or "for work" is work with all possible rights transfered to you (in Germany the copyright is not transferable but you can sell all exclusive rights). This automatically includes source files. (I think you will surely find some contract samples on the internet).
When working with 3rd party artists you will have to assure that such things like sources are granted to you on request (also fix the price for that request). Else it is their right to keep the sources for them as they are able to use "base files" for their work - which was surely used when calculating the prices they want for their client work.

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#10]
elance.com
freelancer.com

or

hunt the email address of an artist who sells models on Turbosquid and on similar websites.
Tip/trick : try to type the exact same pseudo or the exact same name of the model in google or bing, you may find his website.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#11]
When working with 3rd party artists you will have to assure that such things like sources are granted to you on request (also fix the price for that request). Else it is their right to keep the sources for them as they are able to use "base files" for their work - which was surely used when calculating the prices they want for their client work.

Agreed.
I think our problem will probably be solved through negotiation rather than escalating to a legal fight (which no side wants) but it is really slowing us all down.

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#12]
I think, @DANMAN, @Derron etc. that clauses for contracts to the effect of "All orginal works submitted or produced including works in progress and concepts generated towards the end product, during the period of ____ remain the sole property and copyright of _____ "

Derron(Posted 2013) [#13]
This may work in the US... here in Germany you are not able to sell your copyright. You only are able to sell "exclusive right to use".

also your phrase does not state what happens to intermediate files - or "application specific file formats" - sure you will not be able to use a specific character, but for photoshop the psp-files are also holding information _how_ one achieved some special effects (the layer effects, blends, how masks are arranged etc.). Newer Photoshops have 3d-abilities and may also contain mesh data the user is not capable of providing them other users (the company).

bye
Ron