L3DT How to do Lava?

Community Forums/General Help/L3DT How to do Lava?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi all. Can I get someone who is experienced with L3DT Pro, to tell me how to generate a Lava world (Rocks with small lava streams flowing inbetween them? Either that, or can someone please link me to a tutorial on how to do this?

Thank You!

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#2]
Dunno about LD3D but in any engine i would be looking at doing a self illuminated "under" mesh + animated UV lava, with a secondary mesh masking it (either with modelled cracks or a parallax/map texture with transparent areas where needed... or if it was a more simple engine/mobile project i would just use a normal secondary 'flat' texture with simple alphad "rivulets")

It is one of those things where there is a million different ways of doing it depending on how detailed you want to be.

A screen shot of something similar to what you want would help ;)

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#3]
What modelling software do you have available?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2013) [#4]
I have Wings3D :)

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#5]
For streams\rivers of lava you can build a strip of quads and map them in a specific way: every quad is to be mapped individually, and all quads are to be given the full UV space (that is, a quad is mapped in a "FACE" mode or similar, so it occupies the entire UV space - you need to see how you'd achieve this with Wings3D's mapping tools).
Then, when you apply a lava texture to this mesh, every quad will get a "copy" of this texture, each copy stitched together.

The second part of the effect is achieved by offsetting the texture in the U or V axis (depends on the orientation of the texture; It's usually in the U axis).
In Blitz3D you'd use PositionTexture() for this, with an ever increasing U value that's wrapped between 0.0 and 1.0, and a static V value (considering the U axis as the one that needs to vary while the game runs).
This will make the texture flow through the mesh and convey the effect.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2013) [#6]
Thanks! :)