Android Tablets

Community Forums/General Help/Android Tablets

JBR(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, looking at one of these purely for Skype with my sister in NZ. I'm in Scotland.

I've got BT Broadband with the wireless router, would I be able to use that?

They seem to come in 7 and 10 inch screens, either would be fine, just looking for a good quality one.

Any recommendations?
Jim

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.

You can use practically anything that has WiFi with a BT Homehub. I've got PCs, laptops, iPads, Android phones, DSi, XBox, printers and everything on mine.

Do not, I repeat NOT, get an iDevice. Apart from the fact that you'd be lining Apple's pockets, the cameras are rotten.

josk(Posted 2013) [#3]
For a cheaper option go for a Nexus 7, I have had one for some time and would recommend.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#4]
Another vote for the Nexus 7.

The Samsung Galaxy Tabs are also very nice, but more expensive.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
The Nexus 7 is a good choice if you don't mind the smaller screen.

andy_mc(Posted 2013) [#6]
I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 and love it. My sister has a Tab 7 which is also good.

feeble1(Posted 2013) [#7]
I recently made the switch from the Galaxy Tab to the Galaxy Note 2. I really couldn't be happier. It does everything the Tab does and it has a stylus that pops out the back. I'm not sure why but the Note 2 seems to connect better to weak wireless signals way better than the Tab. The Note is also able to make calls without Skype if you ever need to.

Overall I'm very happy with the Note 2. Would I ever buy one? No, I'm a cheapskate, and would probably just tote my netbook around. But the company I work for supplies us with these devices and I'm going to get the best out of them.

JBR(Posted 2013) [#8]
Hi, what's the difference between the 'Tab' and the 'Note'?
Jim

feeble1(Posted 2013) [#9]
The Note is just small enough to fit in your pocket with a little effort. It has a longer battery life, a stylus and is an actual phone. The Tab can only make calls with Skype. You'd have to charge the Tab at least once a day depending on use. Either way, if you get one, get an Otter Box. Protect your investment.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#10]
I skype all the time with my Nexus 7, it's a fine choice for that purpose.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#11]
My asus transformer has been a godsend 10x more useful than my ipad2 . Highly reccomend. Plus despite the ugly cheap looking build it is as powerful as a galaxy and has an msd slot.

JBR(Posted 2013) [#12]
Hi all, just got my tablet, went with the nexus 10. Tempted by the nice screen. Ten inches is still quite small but the resolution is sharp.
Cheers, Jim.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#13]
Good choice, i imagine it is like an awesome huge version of my note... which is already an awesome "tablet" albeit a mini one.

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#14]
I also just ordered a Nexus 10. Should have it tomorrow.

Looking for a decent cover/keyboard. Any suggestions?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#15]
I am not sure if you want a built-in BT keyboard?

If not, I bought this one, as a stop gap till the official one came out but it was of such unexpectedly high quality and did the job so well I am now sticking with it permanently. A great little case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A6A27PK/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

I don't use an external keyboard though, so I can't recommend one.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#16]
If you want a tablet with keyboard either the Asus transformer or MS surface win hands down. (the Galaxy one is OK but is a bit clunky compared to the others as it is not "unified")
However while the surface makes a very nice netbook it has it's weird issues in tablet mode (like not being able to see what you are typing in metro apps for example... which is pretty insane).