DirectX11 vs DirectX7 comparison

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/DirectX11 vs DirectX7 comparison

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Here is my Viking project.
The first screenshot is using DirectX11, and the second one is using Blitz3D's DirectX7.
Please comment!

VIking was made by Psionic. www.psionic3d.co.uk
:)

Last edited 2012

andy_mc(Posted 2012) [#2]
There are shadow systems available for Blitz3D that will make that look better.

But otherwise, it looks good so far.

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#3]
This is not an objective comparison, you have not used the same materials, the same lighting, the same effects...

Even if there are nice shaders with modern engines, you can make the Blitz3d scene looks much better even without shaders.
One way would be to subdivide some tris of the scene in order to have a nice progressive lighting.
Another way would be to use spheremaps or cubemaps or a texture with alpha above some tris in order to give a shining/reflexion effect (for metal, glass, water)
Another way would be to add shadows with DSS.
You can also add a glow effect.

Then you can compare. But a modern engine will probably have a better render anyway.

Last edited 2012

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#4]
I'm left thinking what would Puki say?

The second screenshot looks more like a DarkBasic users achievement than that from a Blitz3D programmer.

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#5]
What happened to the feet and shins?

Yue(Posted 2012) [#6]
but do not really see much difference that marks so well the difference established.

I bring my image DirectX7

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#7]
This doesn't compare DirectX 7 to DirectX 11, because I know from experience (or... Yue's screenshot) that DirectX 7 can handle much more advanced effects than that top screenshot anyway, let alone the lower one.

The lower screenshot might well test the limits of DirectX 1.

More importantly, a static screenshot is not dependent on DirectX version at all, because if there's no requirement that anything be realtime... you can do pretty much anything with anything, it'll just be slow.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
you have not used the same materials, the same lighting, the same effects...

The materials/textures are the same.

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#9]

The materials/textures are the same.

If the materials are the same with the same properties then there may be a problem when you import your mesh in Blitz3d. I can see what appears to be a shininess effect on some materials on the 1st screenshot that i can't see on the 2nd screenshot. Or maybe it is the specular lighting ?

Also on the second screenshot, there is no vertex lighting, the 2 meshes seem to be in full bright mode.

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#10]
Direct X 11 look like come from Nuclear Basic

Direct X 7 look like come from Blitz 3D even thought it doesnt look texture them well I think

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
Yes, the DirectX11 screenshot was made in Nuclear Basic. I have been writing the same program in both languages because I cannot decide which one I like better. Which one looks better to you? I will upload a video on Youtube later of them both.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#12]
I think the problem is not which is better, if not rather which is the easiest to do. Let me explain in basic nuclear is much easier to make a shadow in real time, which in Blitz3D even if it takes some external libs. Agility by the "programmer".

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#13]
So what you're really comparing, is Nuclear Basic vs Blitz3D, not DX11 vs DX7.

Even so, you could have made the Blitz3D version a lot better simply by adding a single directional light.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2012) [#14]
Wow, those erm orange, green and silver cliffs and walls really go together. And er, I also like the effect where the Dwarf loses his feet.

Great work!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2012) [#15]

Yes, the DirectX11 screenshot was made in Nuclear Basic. I have been writing the same program in both languages because I cannot decide which one I like better. Which one looks better to you? I will upload a video on Youtube later of them both.

..it is not dx 11..NB just offering access to DX 11 (shaders). What you have is pretty much same thing you will see on ugliest intel cards when run that NB program. Lighting is default one on NB, as well as set specularity, seen exactly same on cards way under DX11 when use NB.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#16]
that is the worst comparison i have ever seen.

this is what dx7 can do:
http://www.tecno-base.com/
(and it is blitz to boot)

Also that is a dwarf, not a viking.

Last edited 2012

Yue(Posted 2012) [#17]
DirectX 7

Derron(Posted 2012) [#18]

Whaaat? Isn't a dwarf allowed to be born as a viking ("heritage/country")?

If developing in a virtual machine: think about the problems of the "gpu drivers" they use.
Eg. I get errors if not setting SetGraphicsDriver to Max2d in Blitzmax. But using it I runs without problems (ok it logs some gl errors but the program does not crash).

bye
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#19]

Where's your imagination?
like the effect where the Dwarf loses his feet.

This is because when I use LoadAnimMesh(), collisions will not work and so it sinks. The first screenshot is because I haven't figured out NB collisions yet completely.
To get Collisions working right in Blitz3D, I had to do this
player=LoadMesh("player.b3d")

and append the animation sequence to the model.
If developing in a virtual machine:

I only use Parallels so I do not have to restart every time. I usually reboot into Windows to develop stuff.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#20]
Whaaat? Isn't a dwarf allowed to be born as a viking ("heritage/country")?
No I like my RPGs politically incorrect! ;P

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#21]
50% off Nuclear Glory Products - including Nuclear BASIC (valid to 11/27/2012)

Use this promotional code at the check out: cybernuke

This discount honors Black Friday through Cyber Monday (ending the morning of Tuesday 11/27). This is the best chance to receive compounded discounts on all of the products, especially the studio which already has an entry level discount applied!

https://www.nuclearglory.com/

Last edited 2012

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#22]
This offer has been extended through Wednesday in honor of the new NF/NB product release!

Last edited 2012

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#23]
This thread is now about pancakes

Yue(Posted 2012) [#24]
[DirexctX 7]

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#25]
The second screenshot looks more like a DarkBasic users achievement than that from a Blitz3D programmer.

To be fair, the DX11 screenshot is an affront to the quality of DX11 too, so maybe it's a fairer comparison than it might at first seem ;)

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#26]
This offer has been extended through Wednesday in honor of the new NF/NB product release!
With my luck, I am guessing it is the Wednesday that has just passed?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#27]
This thread is now about pancakes

Blueberry or chocolate chip? :P

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#28]
Capain Wicked Soft(Direct X 11 Man) and Puki(Direct X 7 Man) Doing Gangnam Style LOL

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#29]

;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#30]

Last edited 2012

Yue(Posted 2012) [#31]
DirectX 7

Last edited 2012

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#32]
Sheesh...another man on a platform...And how many years has it taken you to accomplish that Yue? NB is out of the box shaders, shadows, physics...and Wickers program is written by a beginner with 3D.

Last edited 2012

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#33]

Last edited 2012

Yue(Posted 2012) [#34]
@Steve Elliott

two years, testing and learning ... I have often wanted to change engines and ease the issue, for example in unit give a click and go I have shadows in NB is equally easy, however, not knowing but I think this is the result and the bizarre the matter is that programmers Blitz3D does no good no more software consumers and as someone once told me: "do not overdo engine motor, finally after all the technology you could have the world at your fingertips but requires creativity, rather Become an expert on one subject, a product is measured by the result and not as has been done or the process "

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#35]
I agree with some of that, but I would never build anything on DirectX 7 these days. But yes, creativity and ease of use goes a long way. :)

Yue(Posted 2012) [#36]
The real problem is that we are not "programmers", well at least I'm not very subjectively and think that programmers are those who have studied long in a School of Computing and end in a company creating professional games, or maybe doing engines to sell the idea that we are programmers.

The strange thing is that if I wanted to do the same with other tools, would have to invest time in learning and some money at the expense of what others are doing and I think that while Blitz3D continue operating on Windows operating systems always exist to the hope rotate a cube and feel the satisfaction that we are programmers but not be.

So the first thing is to deny that we did in Blitz3D xD.

Last edited 2012

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#37]
I'm impressed with Yue's work, and I also like pancakes - usually plain ones with butter and jam.

Yue(Posted 2012) [#38]
@Blitzplotter

Thanks!

GaryV(Posted 2012) [#39]
NB is out of the box shaders, shadows, physics...and Wickers program is written by a beginner with 3D.

The feature-set of NB is amazing as is the implementation.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2012) [#40]
Best thing about NB/NF is, that author is so responsive, and its really really hard to see that elsewhere..

Wings(Posted 2013) [#41]
Forgett about dx7 on morden laptop with 2 graphics card and turbo feature. Like me. Th fps in dx7 is always like 30 now.. no fun play around no more.. salvation is dx11.or open gl

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#42]

Forgett about dx7 on morden laptop with 2 graphics card and turbo feature.

Are you SURE you have 2xgraphics cards in a Laptop, not a parallel chipset?

Which wont make a difference in DX7 anyhow, only one of the chips/cards will be utilised
Also, it most surely will run higher than 30fps, except you probably have used some 2D Text commands or such that are slowing it down.

D4NM4N(Posted 2013) [#43]
I have 2 graphics chips in my laptop.... in fact if you have a laptop bought in the last few years then you probably have 2 GPUs too (certainly if you have an i7)... one intel low performance gpu and one ati(amd)/nvidia performance chip. It is to preserve battery when performance is not required.

Downside: Causes hell with certain apps (as they seem to switch to low performance).. I have found the intel-nvidia arrangement to be far far worse than the AMD-ATI(also amd now of course) ones.

You have to speify what applications use hi performance if it does not do it automatically... trouble is it does not always work.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#44]
In Intel/NVIDIA systems the intel GPU can usually be shutdown permanently by disabling Optimus in the BIOS giving less issues.

@Yue:
Are you using FastExt with BlitzSky and Physx?

Yue(Posted 2013) [#45]
@Rick Nsher, Yes i am PhusX, BlitzSky y Ashadow.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#46]
@Yue: I knew it! ;-)

Was messing with PhysX, BlitzSky and FastExtension myself to see if would work, but I noticed too much of a slowdown with my massive free roaming terrain with water and trees/grass.

Cool stuff though.

Shamefully I never gotten BlitzTiles to work OK with FastExtension, cos that would have really made a difference.

Do you feel Ashadow has an advantage over FastExtension?

Yue(Posted 2013) [#47]
You have to think of a system of large-scale performance such as lod of the trees in the distance and hide eliminate shadows that are not indicated.

At present AShadow works perfectly with the latest version of Blitz3D, however fastext is much better but the mess is that it works with the latest version of Blitz3D and truly believe that they will not update.

The Ashadow system are volumetric shadows, but if it is working you can choose better fastext + B3D 1.06 and correct the problem using the lib that fixes the problem of a user jackfuste have not seen more.
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99477

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#48]
Indeed, lots of hassle(which could be avoided if MikhailV just would do 1 more update. But probably can be resolved if DX9 DLL gets finished(new shadwow features?) or Irrlicht 1.8.0 for Blitzplus, which appear to have a nice shadow system as I've seen from "08_Example_ShadowsAndLights":

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101569

SilverSeraph(Posted 2013) [#49]
hi,
very good pictures and videos...

Yue,
How do you think you would see your work without the libraries that you use? Just pure and simple Blitz3D code... Can you achieve those effects and fluidity, only Blitz3D code?

really great work!!!

Ricky.-

Yue(Posted 2013) [#50]
Would be in pure code without libraries like with Blitz3D, the drawback here is that a multimedia application are many things, images, models and code, then depending on the quality of the programmer can be removed much Blitz3D.

But like many users do not consider Blitz3D programmer, for example I am not able to take maximum advantage of the mathematical functions Blitz3D and so I turn to libraries that already have everything done as for application in physics.