Ponga3D in OpenGL with shader like effects

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Ponga3D in OpenGL with shader like effects

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Completely transformed from this to this within just a few hours!

I couldn't include a screenshot. sorry about that.
Bump mapping and glowing light effects are featured in this game.
You will need an unarchiver installed to open the 7z archive. The game has been tested on both Linux and Mac with WINE. This game was made entirely using OpenGL calls and was very mind bending I must say! My brain is pretty much fried after this. LOL!

Derron(Posted 2012) [#2]
...Linux and Mac with WINE. This game was made entirely using OpenGL calls

Both, Linux and Mac support OGL natively ...

bye
Ron

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#3]
"I couldn't include a screenshot. sorry about that."
translates to
"I was to lazy to include a screenshot" ?
Could not find any other reason nowadays.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#4]
This game was made entirely using OpenGL calls and was very mind bending I must say! My brain is pretty much fried after this. LOL!

OpenGL is a pretty simple and straight-forward API. What most people don't understand is that it is a state-machine.

Now that you understand it, try to implement display lists and/or VBOs. Ah yes, and implement an anti-aliasing shader.

Collision detection is working okay it seems.

Not bad of a beginning in OpenGL I have to say.

But include some options for sound, and whether or not you want to have full-screen or windowed. And seriously, get rid of the music.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
display lists and/or VBOs

What is that?
@SystemError51:
When I get a better grip of it I plan on making my own engine too!
Here is a download in windowed mode and no music: Click Here to Download!
"I was to lazy to include a screenshot"

:P

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#6]
nice work so far
you wrote this in blitzmax?

writing an engine is very difficult as you have to do sliding collisions, animated models, quaternion rotations, create a 3d file format or learn a 3d file format

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
you wrote this in blitzmax?

Yes but OGL is *VERY HARD*. Ill might write another version in irrlicht or Flow3D to see how it would look and perform. ;)

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#8]

What is that?
@SystemError51:
When I get a better grip of it I plan on making my own engine too!

Display list (Perfect for STATIC geometry)
Vertex Buffer Object (VBO) (Perfect for DYNAMIC geometry)

Yes but OGL is *VERY HARD*

I thought that too - until I learned a lot about it. I now have my own OBJ loader, and my own model format (nothing special really, just saving objects from memory to disk for efficiency). As you may have seen, my UI concept is written in OpenGL too.

It is a pretty simple but powerful API. However to be fair, it does have its limits.

another version in irrlicht or Flow3D to see how it would look and perform.

They will look exactly the same and perform the same. Those engines are wrappers around the OpenGL API. Each one has its advantages in certain areas. Ultimately you're at the mercy of your graphic card, because all engines send data to it - so unless you change your models or fundamentals in your code, it won't matter which engine you use. Choosing an engine is only between you and the style you like to code in.

Last edited 2012