Pen and ink..

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Pen and ink..

matibee(Posted 2012) [#1]
no, not the cockney rhyming slang (I hope!) but a pen and ink drawing of a crypt.

I think I might have found my artistic niche. Taking a really basic line drawing like this... (done by my game design partner-in-crime)

and ink shading it into this..

We're scanning and digitally painting these objects for a new game project, aiming to spend some weeks and months fleshing out this art style first to see how far we get.

I'm a bit reluctant to show our full progress just yet but we've made some great steps in just a couple of weeks. The biggest hurdle was hitting on an artistic style we hopefully can pull of between us and now we're up against detailing and painting entire scenes like this. So far so good.

I just had to post this because looking at the two images on paper just makes me smile - I wouldn't have believed it was possible until I tried it!

:)

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Amazing what you can do when you try!

matibee(Posted 2012) [#3]
Amazing what you can do when you try!

Indeed :D

(damn facebook is making me lazy... i just wanted to 'like' your post :/ )

Last edited 2012

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#4]
yeah that looks real nice, it's a method I use myself, still not as good with the digital pen as I am with a pencil or ink pen in my hand, not sure why I think its the disconnect from the drawing surface and the results on screen, so I do this, sketch things, iPhone pic it then colour it with the digital pen.

The one thing I would suggest is that to try and be aware , of any seems that might happen if your game uses a tile engine and your image is covering a few tiles, in terms of saving space and keeping your art assets low, try and form natural looking seems so that you have a degree of tile-ability ..

It will help you in the long run by allowing you to make a cool looking crypt but then later be able to switch sections in and out making lots of variations without having to sit and draw them all by hand.

scribbla(Posted 2012) [#5]
looks good, try some different colour schemes

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#6]
What did you use to 'digitally paint' that drawing?

It looks amazing!

matibee(Posted 2012) [#7]
Cheers Taiphoz. I've got a wacom tablet, but it'll never replace the tactile feel of ink on paper. I appreciate what you're saying about the tiling because we're already on it ;)

scribbla, the colour schemes are the next stage when they're scanned - that's what I meant by "digital painting". I use an old photoshop to paint, discretely texture and tweak the illumination.

SLotman, I didn't digitally paint it I inked it with a pen :D I was just amazed what the inking did for such a simplistic line drawing.

We've got a ton of these assets now, and they are painting up nicely and building up some great scenes. It's still far, far too early to show anything off yet tho :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#8]
Look very good and it show that if person put more time into arts then anythings is possible....

Well Done :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#9]
Indeed, looks great

matibee(Posted 2012) [#10]
Cheers. This post is now a month old, but in that time we've almost completed some pretty impressive game scenes using this method... Cemetery, church, castle etc (this is an old school platformer btw).

I'd love to show more but we're pushing ourselves hard to keep it under wraps until its mostly complete.