Lighting advices needed [image heavy]

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Lighting advices needed [image heavy]

Derron(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I would be pleased if you could give me some hints or advices how to improve the scene's overall quality

Picture 1 - i think the lighting is ok but things like my office lamp seem to have some wrong materials settings..., the map of germany at the right side ...is it to blurry for you (its a image used for another screen of the game)

Picture 2 - the lighting is the think I'm worried the most about - some hints here ? Additional problems: maybe it's to empty - maybe some power-cables under the desk and so on...

Picture 3 - the lighting is the same for all floors - may be its getting repetitive there (click opens bigger one) ?

Picture 4 - a floor with sprites inserted - lighting ok here?

Everything you see there is modelled in blender and rendered with blender internal - if that helps for giving advices.

Thanks in advance.

bye Ron

edit: corrected img-links

Last edited 2012

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
The first one is OK - I have no idea what Germany is meant to look like (is it just Germany, or surrounding countries as well?) but I think having the map image right up to the edge of the picture frame makes it look a bit odd. Leave a bit of empty space around the edge and it'll look better. Don't see anything wrong with the lamp. Why is there a bra hanging out of the drawer?

The other two I reckon is mostly an issue of ambient lighting being set too high. They look very flat. Also in Pic 2 I would make the far room (with the bricks) a lot darker than it is to visually push it back a bit.

[edit] Oh, and have a round of applause for getting anything half-decent out of Blender.

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi. Are they doing it at the copy machine, last image?

Anyway, it's clear you're going with a cartoon theme.
Your style reminds me somewhat of Twinsen's Odyssey - you should take a look for some reference.
Just like this game, you could try adding some more grunge and stronger textures to make things look less 'plasticky'.

I like the compositions for your screens (the way things are laid out).

I prefer cartoon styles that use realistic lighting.
Taking that second screen shot for instance, I don't think the lighting is working very well. You need harder shadows and less ambient light - it's too bright and for me it's not clear where that brightness is coming from.
Try to imagine that room for real: since it has no direct sun light coming in, where would a decorator place lamps to light it?
Then do the same in your scene, and avoid cheating by adding invisible lamps.

The soft shadows and smooth ambient occlusion are also present in the other screens - try to make them sharper; it'll look more real.
One thing you can also do is, after rendering the final version of everything, go to Photoshop and increase 'contrast' with the Contrast\Brightness filter. It always makes my stuff look better and at no cost at all!...

Derron(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks for critism :D

For the second picture - yes it looks flat ... that's why I asked for help :D
The lights in that room are:
at the wall behind the camera there is an open door with sunlight shining in.
at the top of the front room are 2 office lamps (neon lights you know :D). In the small room with the bluescreen there are 2 lamps lighting that screen and the anchorman's desk.
So the light sources itself should be pretty well enough - just the setup/direction/... needs do get more attention.

@GFK and first picture:
The map of Germany just references the players possibility to open the bigger map of Germany (only Germany, no surrounding countries). I'm not sure if placing the imageframe a bit more left would change something - and moving the camera to the right would only lead to seeing more of the right wall and the chair (which can't be moved more to the right ad the desk has to end somewhere without providing place for 10 guests at dinner time :D).
The lamp - I think it is a bit to shiny/glossy
The bra - just for fun - it is the players office and you are able to play both - female or male player chars - so it can be more than just that filthy thing :D

@Kryzon:
At the beginning I tried to achieve a look of: "Böse Nachbarn" (an older game)

But at the moment the models of furniture and so on are not that overstylized/cartoonized and I think it still looks like a mixture of realism and cartoonism.

One problem with blender are strange bugs - to achieve the light rays in picture 1 - you have to setup the lights in a certain way with some special values. Ok no problem you might think - all ok as long as you know the values.
But then you setup blender to use "meters" instead of "blenderunits" (your chars should have a height of 1.8m not x blender units) and voila ... it wont work (unless you scale your objects to 10x20 cm ....).
So some problems are: you are creating the right lights, you setup it "naturally" but it doesn't look right.

That's why things like the red "on air" lamp are kind of fakes (slight translucent and alpha'ed material with a lamp inside for the glow effect).

@ Photoshop
I know PS and are able to use it fairly well :D ... but I prefer using free software for this project - think I have to learn more about the nodes and post processing in blender (so you can adjust AO after rendering, increasing contrast of the shadowmaps ... )

Ok, lets try some of your ideas.

PS: no they are not "doing it at the copy machine" - they are just standing there in a T-Pose :P .

bye
Ron

edit: 12/06/14 - think it's the camera position which makes it look that flat as less depth-information of the room are provided.

Last edited 2012