Orion's Gate: Designing a galaxy

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Orion's Gate: Designing a galaxy

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#1]
In other posts I talk a lot about the technical aspects of the game I'm working on. I thought maybe I show you a few of the designs I came up with. The game is set to take place in a galaxy about 5 million light years away, and about 500 years from now.

Designing a galaxy and the races that are supposed to occupy it is not so simple. Each race has a rich back-story - but that's a topic for another time.

So here are a few designs.

Let's start off with the three races.

The Orion Federation is the governing body of all human presence in the galaxy. Since humans set foot into the galaxy in 2521, the Federation has an open door for anyone who values freedom and supports democracy. This concept is unknown to the other races, and has caused a stir in the political landscape.

Click for larger version

The Reticuli Triumvirate is arguably the oldest race amongst the galaxy's inhabitants. With technology far superior to both the other races, the real reason for their presence in the galaxy is a mystery. It is rumored that their survival as a whole is at stake, which is why they do not stop at anything to get their hands on other technology to save themselves. There's not one single leader, but three. All three have to be in agreement before a decision is made. Those three are often comprised of different walks of life. They are roughly 1.5m in size, large black distinctive eyes, and grey silver-ish skin. They piloted smaller scout vessels known as UFOs and watched Earth closely for millennia. Their interest in mankind peaked almost without limit when Earth began construction of the Orion Device, a man-made interstellar relay that is similar to the ones in the Orion galaxy. The Reticuli have engineered and built an entire star near their home world in the galaxy. It is unknown why this was done.

Click for larger version

In stark contrast to both stands the Midori Regime. These people come from a background with a lot of bloodshed in their past. A very dominant race that will stop at nothing and seems to be mainly concerned about territorial expansion and control more so than anything else. They have no specific goal other than to rule and control the galaxy. Some attempts have been made to reduce the territory of Reticuli space - without success. Reportedly some kind of super-weapon was deployed. These people have a reptilian appearance, with a green-ish reflective skin. They are often about 2-2.5m in height.

Click for larger version

The galaxy itself is a very small cluster, maybe 75 light years in diameter. It has about 2,200 inhabitable solar systems, almost all of them are connected through interstellar relays. This makes rapid travel between the planets possible. The following is a map of the political landscape as of 2541, the year at which people can interact with the galaxy and play as a character of either of the races.

Click to see full version.
WARNING: VERY LARGE file.

This map was carefully created and slightly modified with a tool called AstroSynthesis. It is capable to create fictional galaxies that are scientifically correct. It can also create textures for the surfaces of the planets, as well as creating all kinds of data for the planets and solar systems.

Please leave constructive feedback.

Until next time :)

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
its um.. nice :o

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#3]
Yep - its pretty big!

col(Posted 2012) [#4]
That is big universe you have going on there!!!
NICE!

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2012) [#5]
Systemerror,

are you designing the graphics as well as coding the code?

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#6]
The races seem interesting,

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#7]
Hi Amanda,

yes, I'm doing everything on my own.

--

Hi col,

--

Hi Captain,

also thanks :)

--

Hi slenkar,

I'm trying to make them as diverse as possible. It's not easy to make them diverse but also keep everything in balance. I'll try my very best. In time, when it gets closer to release fine-tuning is gonna come in to make it all balanced and fair.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2012) [#8]
Those are some pretty nice symbols you have there.
I looked at some of your other vids, and the graphics on those look nice as well?

How long have you been working on this game?
How many games can you work on at a time?

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
Thanks for that :)

All in all I've been working on it for about two years, ever since I fully envisioned the game and the background to it. There have been attempts in other environments and programming languages, however BlitzMax is pretty much what the game is going to be realized with.

I usually work on one game/project at a time. It's better that way. And that one game is Orion's Gate in the moment.

Nate the Great(Posted 2012) [#10]
I'm trying to make them as diverse as possible. It's not easy to make them diverse but also keep everything in balance. I'll try my very best. In time, when it gets closer to release fine-tuning is gonna come in to make it all balanced and fair.

Have you tried some sort of procedural generation? I am not sure I get exactly what your game is going to be but a procedural planet/galaxy creator in game would be awesome!

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#11]
Have you tried some sort of procedural generation? I am not sure I get exactly what your game is going to be but a procedural planet/galaxy creator in game would be awesome!

No, the galaxy and all the planets in it are already defined. That is not going to change. The planets are going to have static terrain. I think over 2000 planets should be enough for a while.

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hi SystemError51,

I have watched this documentary recently :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCOmVQiRNY

Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#13]
Will this be a 4x game?!?

Love the fluff!

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2012) [#14]
What do you mean by 4x game?

matibee(Posted 2012) [#15]
4x should be read "four ex" (ie not "four times"). See here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

Awaiting a progress video SE51 ;)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2012) [#16]
That clarifies matters!

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#17]
Prepare to be assemilated! Resistance is futile!

Unless there's a joke that I'm not getting -- you do know it's spelled "assimilated", right?

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#18]
If you don't know what "4x" is then you obviously don't know the genre LOL.

It's a niche market in many ways but people like myself are ready to devour any new titles that come along. Much like the Space Sim market which is awaiting a comeback....

Not trying to hijack the thread but any sci-fi nut will easily fall in the love this. PC FOR THE WIN!
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/