Lead character from my new game

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Lead character from my new game

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#1]
As some of you already know, I've started work on a point-and-click adventure game. To make it truly original, I'm not using Kickstarter. We're about half-way through developing the characters, and I've decided to start posting images of those characters.

The game is targeted at Win, Mac, iPad and consoles so the artwork requirements were pretty strict. 2,500 tris and one 2k x 2k diffuse map only.

This is the main player character. I'm going to refer to him as Kyle for now. Although for complicated reasons he is also referred to under a different name.

There's a montage featuring several more characters on the Facebook group I set up last night.

https://www.facebook.com/SupremeLeagueOfPatriots

EDIT: Blame Facebook for the jpeg artifacts. I would have left it as a PNG.

Last edited 2012

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#2]
Character looks good.

although why for the love of the holy goddess pink??? D:

(or is it my monitor? :D)

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#3]
all i got to say is why the hell not pink? the theme is just friggin epic

col(Posted 2012) [#4]
Awesome!!! The whole theme looks great :P

Naughty Alien(Posted 2012) [#5]
..i like it very very much..

skn3(Posted 2012) [#6]
the artwork is really nice :D

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#7]
Looks similar to something Tim Schafer might do, cool.

ErikT(Posted 2012) [#8]
Looks chief! But man, facebook? Post'em here, come on :D

nrasool(Posted 2012) [#9]
Looks wicked! Good luck, what engine are you using? Your own personal in blitzmax?

*(Posted 2012) [#10]
Is this a 'Freedom Force' style game if so that character is class :D

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#11]
great stuff

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#12]
Looks wicked! Good luck, what engine are you using? Your own personal in blitzmax?

If I may answer for him: he's a Unity man now.

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#13]
Sorry for not replying sooner. I've had a spectacularly hectic few months and have just recovered from moving home yet again.

Thank you all for the very kind comments. I'm a big fan of Tim Schafer, so for me, there really is no higher praise than "Looks like something Tim Schafer would do".

Quick roundup of answers. Why pink(purple)? Because it's the one thing he would hate the most. I will indeed be posting everything here. It's just nice on Facebook because you don't annoy people who aren't interested when you post new stuff. You may certainly answer for me, and yes, Supreme League of Patriots will be developed in Unity. BlitzMax and Monkey are both very nice, but don't really have a mature 3D engine that does what I want on all the platforms I want to target, and I don't really have the time to be writing my own low level code any more. It's not a Freedom Force style of game, but I must admit that I was immediately tempted to make such a game when I got some of the artwork back. This is more of a Day of The Tentacle type of game.

And on that note, I'll leave you with the second character, Stan. Stan is a former superhero who now owns a bar frequented by superheroes, supervillains and groupies.

Now that I'm (hopefully) settled, I should be able to get things moving and have new artwork arriving on a regular basis.

Last edited 2012

Blitzplotter(Posted 2012) [#14]
This is looking very impressive just from the quality of your characters.

Ruz(Posted 2012) [#15]
looks good, nicely stylised

Steve Elliott(Posted 2012) [#16]
I really like the graphic style of the characters...Day of the Tentacle mentioned too. Awesome.

*(Posted 2012) [#17]
Gabriel looks like a black Jimmy Savile LOL

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#18]
Great look -- I especially like the facial expression in the top picture.

As a huge adventure fan, I can't wait to see where this is going. The world needs more humorous Point-and-click adventures.

degac(Posted 2012) [#19]
Nice work.
Stan remembers me 'Stan Lee mutated in one of his heroes on steroids and my life as pappa'

(images from Wikipedia)

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#20]
Thanks guys. I love the theories on Stan's origins, although I am now wishing he'd been a black Jimmy Savile as the likeness in that photo is rather uncanny.

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#21]
Love the style!

The actual meshes and their textures are extreemly good too, very good quality, 2500 tri's is pretty tight!

2k x 2k textures? For B3D of course, that's about the limit in size, but is that really considered "small" these days? Or was the limitation apect more in regards to the fact only a single texture is used?

Gabriel(Posted 2012) [#22]
The limitation was more in regards of only using a single texture and also not using normal or specular maps - even on Windows/Mac.

D4NM4N(Posted 2012) [#23]
I like the black jimmi savile, he is awesome :)