Mean Bomb

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Mean Bomb

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#1]
this is a rought run through a concept I came up with last night, the idea is that this little bomb guy is going to walk into the screen, sit next to a large rock, and blow, when the dust clears it will reveal our logo.

I'm good a static 3d models, but animations not so much, so trying to keep the design as simple as I can so that when it comes time to animate and model of course, it will mostly be simple primitives.

feed back welcome.

Last edited 2012

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#2]
currently turning those lines into paths and smoothing things out as well as adding some detail to the gloves. will upload new images as I progress.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#3]
And with some colour..

These images are on my dropbox so if their not actually showing up let me know I will shove them up some where else.

Last edited 2012

BlitzSupport(Posted 2012) [#4]
Not showing up here!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#5]
Ah yeah, HTTPS, I could see them but then, it is my account, I have moved them onto cruel-gaming.com so they should be showing up fine now.

Again feedback welcome

skn3(Posted 2012) [#6]
This looks quite nice, I would definitely avoid mixing gradients and solid shading though. The two styles don't mix. Part of the charm of the original image was the thick pencil outlines, it could be better if you chunkified your lines.

ProfJake(Posted 2012) [#7]
I agree with skn3[ac], those outlines are way to clear and thin.

The original image is cool though, reminds me of graffiti.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#8]
Yeah I agree about the gradients as well, the outlines dont really matter as it's not going to be a sprite.

Turning the little guy into a 3D model if I can model that damn glove in such a way that I like the look of it, 3 failed attempts so far :/ wish I had not stopped modelling back in the day this would probably be a lot easier than it seems to be now.

skn3(Posted 2012) [#9]
Ah cool, he will lOok good in 3D. For the glove try modelling it flat by extruding and forming, extruding then forming; make sure there enough polygons so that It will bend...

Then once you have a flat glove you can bend it into shape. It might turn out better then trying to mould it into a fist shape or pre-positioned.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#10]
Yeah been trying to model as a fist since the fist will never need to be open, and the model does not need to be high polly, so will give that a try and see how it goes.

skn3(Posted 2012) [#11]
Hows the bomb going :) ?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#12]

Kinda crap TBH, about 5 or 6 years ago I woulda knocked this model out the park, but having not done any modeling in years I just cant get it looking the way I want and its bloody frustrating.

The way I develope, I work both art and code at the same time, I'm not one of those coders that can just do all the code and then worry about the art, I have tried it just does not work for me, the art looking nice helps keep me on track.

So this project is not even gona get a single line of code until I can get this stupid character modeled and animated :(

Last edited 2012

skn3(Posted 2012) [#13]
I know what you mean, its frustrating when you hit a wall for such a small task but its just too much of a bug to not fix it first!

The bomb model is looking alright btw! Id say that shoes are a tad small compared to the sketch and he needs his expression! Apart from that its good progress!

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#14]
It's very difficult to model something that can express emotions.
You're very good at drawing, so I don't understand why you're not following a blueprint. It's not "cheating", it's just sticking to a guideline - there's nothing shameful about it (especially since everyone getting paid to do things like this are using blueprints and references). No artist knows everything.

I think you should model the hand as it should be, with a relaxed open stance (kinda like the left hand in the concept) - don't cut any corners by modelling it closed (i.e the bulge the fingers form when closed). You won't have anything to animate that way.
If you have an open hand you can rig it later and officially make it close by closing the fingers etc., and make the thumbs-up sign.

If you're dissatisfied with the results in the slightest, nothing better than starting anew. You can only get better results this way, and a blank slate is always invigorating.

EDIT: I can see you're using 3DS Max. If you have any trouble with rigging and animating this, report back!

Last edited 2012

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2012) [#15]
Yeah I will thanks m8, will fix the feet, and try the hands again.