pip - for the kids.

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/pip - for the kids.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#1]

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#2]
which one should I use, shaded on the left, or no shade on the right. ?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hi Taiphoz. Between the two, I prefer the nonshaded - the shaded one looks too heavy. This is coupled with the fact that that soft shadow translates as dirt to me, especially below the nose.

If you're still looking for improvements, pick the nonshaded one and add a very very subtle layer of hard, curved shadows like you can find in animated cartoons and several vector art pieces:

*(Posted 2011) [#4]
TBH as this is aimed at kids I would go non-shaded for one the games my two play most are the colourful simple games and adding shading doesnt make their enjoyment anymore than non-shaded so I would just do simple ones :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#5]
Took that on board, dropping the shadow's , updated the above image to include the other versions of her, these are shown to the player for different actions, I opted to show the hug's if the player loses the game.

I don't think small kids like to lose and asking for a HUG! is better than saying HAHA YOU LOST!

let me know what you think of them.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#6]
The two leftmost poses. I'd open one of the eyes to avoid making the bear look like she's dead (especially the bottom left one, showing the tongue).
Having one eye closed and the other open is much more playful and lighthearted ("tee hee hee!").

Actually the eyelids are another element you can play with; with them partially showing you can give a sense of tranquility, so there may be some cases where you want that.

I like the rest of the poses; good job.