Dynamic 2D Shadows

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Dynamic 2D Shadows

col(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hiya all,

I'm beefing up the D3D11Max2DDriver and I've made a little light and shadow system. This demo shows just the shadows for the moment. There is a lot more work to be done to incorporate it all together for a package to release. The demo is HERE

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
FWIW: I'm not seeing the shadow casting on my computer (Win7 x64, ATI Radeon HD6750.

The blue and red lights move, and the red light casts a reddish glow on top of the blitzmax logo when I move it that direction, but no occlusion at all:

col(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hiya,

I love these one off issues... not :D, especially as I developed this on an ATI machine too :P
Can I assume you have the latest Dx update? and your gfx drivers are up to date?

There are several stages in the process, would you be kind enough to test this one and post a pic of each stage. You can shrink them down if you want to 1/4 size to save posting big pics, I just need to see some of the debug images that'll be on the right hand side as you move the light source close to, and around, the logo :P

That would be great.

Cheers :P

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]

(Note: up, down, left, right all show a solid red block)

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#5]
(and yes, I do have up-to-date drivers -- dxdiag shows my display drivers are version 8.892.0.0, release date 9/8/2011, using DX11.

col(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hiya xlsior,

Thanks for posting the pics.

Do you have any driver 'z buffer' optimisations switched on ( forced or not )?, maybe in the ATI control panel or in the ATI tool tray?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'll check when I'm back at the computer, but I doubt it -- the only video settings I tweaked from the defaults were the gamma curves in 2D/desktop mode, I didn't change any of the 3D settings.

col(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hiya,

Should be fixed now, if you wouldn't mind trying this one and let me know :-
Fixed

Cheers.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#9]
The shadow casting is indeed fixed, except now the bouncy text goes up and down ridiculously fast so it's completely unreadable. (did you remove the wait for vertical blank by any chance?)

col(Posted 2011) [#10]
Oops. I probably did. Its about 90fps on my machine with out waiting for the vblank. I've uploaded it again FWIW at the same 'Fixed' link above, and also slowed the whole motion down to about a third as I thought it was too fast even when waiting for the vblank.

Glad its working now :D

Thanks for your help.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#11]
Perfect.