2 game sprites

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/2 game sprites

skn3(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey,

I started a game project with a friend tonight for fun. I am doing the graphics and he is doing the game. It's just a simple game but I thought I'd post the sprites I was working on this evening!

Critique welcome!

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
the fox is great,
the sheep is fine if that is a reaction to something
but if that is his normal walking sprite it doesnt look very good :)

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#3]
Look good, to me.

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#4]
The sheep have just one eye??

Shouldn't the fox legs be bent a little bit? If it's a static sprite, it would be ok, but for an animated one, those "stiff legs" will become an strange animation...

skn3(Posted 2011) [#5]
I guess the sheep does look off with one eye! Both are meant as a static pose, so the legs should be fine when animated. I'll be tweaking at some point when I come to animate so will take the comments into consideration. Someone mentioned on a pixel art forum ( http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13358 ) that the colours are fairly boring. I'd be interested to see anyone's opinion on a less "art" critique approach?

Last edited 2011

skn3(Posted 2011) [#6]
Here, fixed eyeballs :D

Much better, thanks!

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#7]
yep much better now

josk(Posted 2011) [#8]
Very nice, Colours are good.

If you did want to change the colour a bit maybe a bit of red on the fox, but to be honest now you have given the sheep 2 eyes they seem good to me.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2011) [#9]
Can't see anything wrong with the colers per say, foxes are ginger and sheep are white (mostly)

H&K(Posted 2011) [#10]
Why is the sheep on tip toes?

skn3(Posted 2011) [#11]
Cool thanks for the good comments :D I think he's on his tip toes cos that's how I imagine a cartoon sheep would walk vs the fox who is slinking low on the ground.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#12]
..very cute characters .. i like it a lot..im wondering how its going to look like in motion

skn3(Posted 2011) [#13]
I did a grass tile, still playing around with colours and whatnot!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#14]
Great Drawing :)

I wish I was Artist! Dammmmm ...it would take least 10 Years to be Artist like drawing every day I think!

Last edited 2011

Pengwin(Posted 2011) [#15]
Love the sprites. You even managed to get that slightly evil look in the fox's eyes.

*(Posted 2011) [#16]
Nice images :)

skn3(Posted 2011) [#17]
lol thanks :D yes look at that evil but cunningly evil foxes face! Hotshot2005 I don't know if I can consider myself an artist (I spend most of my life programming).. but it doesn't take that much practice! Just have to keep trying and use lots of reference material! http://images.google.com is invaluable, even for sprite artwork reference!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#18]
those are shweet m8. other than the eye which got fixed their perfect.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#19]
actually, the fox looks like its blowing really hard, I would make it look like this, which reflect the little side type of jut their face actually has.

skn3(Posted 2011) [#20]
haha yes he does look like hes blowing a bit! I'll tweak it when I next sit down and do some spriting.. ta :D

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2011) [#21]
Also the black like for the mouth has to high of a contrast with the white, if you add a white pixel in the middle of it, it will look like fangs and will fit better with the look of the fox.

Also what are you using to make your sprites ?

skn3(Posted 2011) [#22]
Noted thanks. I will tweak the contrast of those bits (if it looks alright). I am using paintshop pro x3 to do the pixel art, id probably be using graphics gale otherwise but I kinda just got used to paintshop pro years ago!