Which direction is better??

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Which direction is better??

Nack(Posted 2011) [#1]
Which level direction is better? top or bottom?

Top seem a bit brigther and more cartoony, while bottom can add a lot of depth if it is design for serious story (the sprite can be adjusted for lighting later).

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
i like the bottom one

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
Top one is too light, bottom one is too dark. Both lack depth.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#4]
Day and night versions? why not go with both :)

Are these original character graphics? do you have a website for this project or something like that?

Last edited 2011

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#5]
Is it me or the characters are in the wrong angle? They don't seem to be aligned to the floor angle...

Nack(Posted 2011) [#6]
I enhanced the shadow on the first one. As for the character angle, its just a matter of repositioning the camera, that's not a huge issue. I repositioned it on this screenshot.

Better? Or seem a bit "blocky"?

And no, I do not have a website for this project at the moment, I will have one and more info on this as soon as I can release a demo game of some kind.

Edit: Added FastExt Shadow on it, looks quite nice :)

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#7]
Quite nice indeed :)
The mix of AO + shadows is very pleasing to see.

Is there any way to light the tree's leaves? if you look at the previous screens, they were the only element that remained the same shade.

And I still stand by my first question, are these original character graphics?

Keep posting!

Last edited 2011

Nack(Posted 2011) [#8]
oh thats true. I didnt notice the trees. Thanks. I will see if i can fix that up

And forgot to answer ur question :S, no they are not, I got them as place holder from some rpg maker forum. Will be making original graphics after the engine is along the way.

EDIT: upped the ambient light, the tree is a "bit" brighter. The tree is not as bright for a technical reason, they should be lightmapped from external tools to look nicer, and not internally AOed as the poly count is too high. so far, looks ok :)

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#9]
I like those gradient windows you got going on there; they remind me of RPGMaker.
Those spell effects are no doubt from your effect animation suite you posted a long time ago. Do you have a video of them in motion? it'd be sweet to look at.

Are you considering using irregular, terrain-like maps or are you going for something more "leveled" such as Tactics Ogre?

Nack(Posted 2011) [#10]
For now, levels are being constructed with "tiles", so I guess will be similar to Tactics orge. Though wont be a tactical rpg.

Sure, I will whip up a video of some kind once I make some good effects lol

EDIT:
Messed around with real time vertex lighting as well. I like the result, maybe next i will try AO + vertex lighting lol

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#11]
Great step forward! I hope going through all vertices is fast enough. I'd be a great addition to the spell effects, those lights.

Remember you also have the 8 native D3D lights which would give this same effect (but potentially with better performance). Then your environment would be lit by lightmap + ambient color.

One thing I observed. Have you tried tinting your characters depending on their distance to the lights?
This would make it even more realistic:

Since textures are by default in a multiplying blend, they are tinted with an entity's underlying color whichever it may be (white by default). So using EntityColor\BrushColor would give you this tinting for free.

EDIT: I realize now you said "(the sprite can be adjusted for lighting later)", so the above is just useful for those that didn't think of this x)

Last edited 2011

Nack(Posted 2011) [#12]
Thanks for the suggestion! Right after posted that, I actually play around and implemented the tinting of the actors. They will light up, based on the color of the lights, when they are within range of the vertex lights. A video in action, aka disco! Though I am still debating whether to use it or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB0Rh0ygelA

Also, here is a video of the battle animation as promised :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bULG99WRbHY

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#13]
The only issue I see is that when you use the fake lights the entire environment gets dark.
This is simple to fix (pseudo):
For each vertex in the map {
	;Start with a white color.
	Local tempR = 255
	Local tempG = 255
	Local tempB = 255

For each fake-light {
		If this vertex lies inside this fake light's radius {
			;Calculate normalized distance from vertex to light.
			Local D = 1.0 - ((vertexPosition - LightPosition) / lightRadius)		

;Mix this vertex's color with the weighted color of this light.
			tempR = tempR + D * (lightR - tempR) 
			tempG = tempG + D * (lightG - tempG)
			tempB = tempB + D * (lightB - tempB)
		}	
	}

;Color this vertex with white and potential influences by the fake lights.
	VertexColor surface,index,tempR,tempG,tempB 
}
This will keep the environment normally lit up, and will not break the native vertex-lighting (so you can still use direct-lights, spotlights and point-lights for scenic lighting).
But if that's old news, then I think those colored lights will look great, especially if you combine them with the spell effects (imagine animated lights with animated radii for instance).

Oh, and thanks for the spell effects video, they look great!
Do you have any plans on what to do next?

Last edited 2011

Nack(Posted 2011) [#14]
Thanks for the code concept, Ill see how well it work out. One problem I have right now is the speed issue with v. lights, too many real time lights will no doubt slow down. Thats why I am still debating to implement it or not. But adding them to just spell effect would be a nice touch.

Now that lighting is complete (to a point anyway). There are some work left to finish up before I have something tangible (Most likely waypoint system and camera system). So will be fixing up that up. Hopefully can get something out by next month. :)