Spill Engine gets Shadow Mapped

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Spill Engine gets Shadow Mapped

col(Posted 2011) [#1]
Another little teaser of some dynamic shadow mapping in the DirectX only Spill Engine.

Last edited 2011

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#2]
self shadowing? very nice.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#3]
I agree with the above =)

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#4]
very impressive

col(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks for the comments guys.
This technique would mainly be used for lighting from a distance like, a sun for eg.
And self shadowing is the norm nowadays ? no ? :D

Soft shadows are on the way, but they do like to eat up GPU time. lol.

Yue(Posted 2011) [#6]
:)

Yue(Posted 2011) [#7]

=(

*(Posted 2011) [#8]
ive always been interested on how all these shadow things work does anyone have a laymans tutorial on it that even a newbie could understand :)

col(Posted 2011) [#9]
@EdzUp
Tutorials on the subject can run into several pages as there is no 'best for all' solution, and they ALL have pros and cons, although some methods do tend to be eaiser to implement than others and can give a better result too. It simply depends on your requirements as to what method you use. There is the usually a trade off between speed over quality and you have to find a balance.

I'm not sure there is a 'layman' term for any of this, and like I said there are various techniques, texture shadow mapping, stencil mapping, volume mapping, silhouette mapping, the list goes on, but I'm doing it this way using textures...

1 - Render your scene from the lights point of view.
2 - Save the scene into a depth buffer ( various ways to do this )
3 - Render your scene from the camera
4 - Compare the stored depth buffer with the new depth buffer
5 - Per pixel - If the new depth buffer value is higher ( further ) than the stored one then the pixel is in a shadow.
6 - Rinse and repeat :-)

If you google 'Shadow mapping', there are thousands of tutorials showing thousands of techniques. You'll probably find the tutorial that I nicked the model and textures from :-)

I think one of the easiest tuts that can help grasp this concept of the technique I'm using is here -
Part 1 - Shadow mapping
Part 2 - Render to Texture
Part 3 - Projective Texturing
Part 4 - Real Shadow
Part 5 - Shaping the light

Its written for XNA using c# and HLSL, but he gives an easy to understand explanation on this particular technique.

col(Posted 2011) [#10]
@Yue.
Looks good from the distance and close up. Also looks like stencil shadowing?
In the close up are you querying there is a problem with your shadow? Maybe I'm reading ' =( ' icon wrong?

Last edited 2011

Yue(Posted 2011) [#11]
@ Col
Hi do not know much what you say, I regret not speaking English and I am worth a translator and I can not understand things well.

The problem I have with my shadow is that part of the back of the human model, shows a line because it reflects the texture of the first pillar, which gives the sombre shadow the human model, but how to fix it is to lower the ambient light.

Regards.

col(Posted 2011) [#12]
Hiya,
No worries with language. I can understand what you mean.

You are making and using stencil shadows? Are you using vertex/pixel shaders to apply the shadow to the scene or are you using the older fixed function techniques?

How are you building and applying the shadow? No need for actual code, just pseudo code is ok.

*(Posted 2011) [#13]
@col: thanks col will have a look

Yue(Posted 2011) [#14]

=)