Warlords 1 Remake

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Warlords 1 Remake

Krischan(Posted 2011) [#1]
This is my first project in Blitzmax - a remake of the quite simple but very exciting strategic game "Warlords 1" from 1989 :-D Does anybody remember it?

This is only a very basic techdemo for the tilemap display and movement on the map, it creates a INI-File where you can play around with some values. The tiles have an unusual size of 40x40 pixels so I needed to work with meshes and minib3d, press SPACE to see what I mean. The tiles are scalable without seams, only the map increases if you choose higher resolution / other tilesize. I still need to play around with it but looks nice so far. The map has a resolution of 109x156 so don't exceed the values - they will be cut.

I'm not sure if I'll finish this remake but I think I could complete it in Blitzmax (if not I'll release the project as it is). Funny: last year, a remake of Warlords 1 has been published for the iPhone (I don't own one - but the screens look nice). But I never saw a remake for the PC.

OK here we go: Download EXE [1.4MB]

Movement with Arrows / Mouse. You can investigate all terrain, cities and special locations. But no Action so far :-D

Last edited 2011

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
looks like a good game,
are you using info from the original, or just making it up?

Last edited 2011

Krischan(Posted 2011) [#3]
I try to keep all data as close as possible to the original, I even added text from a Warlords 2 Scenerio of Warlords 1 (like the ruins/temple descriptions). Some data I still need to guess, I'm no expert in reverse engineering.

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#4]
Looks good! I played Warlords 2 quite a bit (years ago) and I think it is very similar. I remember the option of destroying a city after conquering it, leaving it worthless for the enemy too.

Krischan(Posted 2011) [#5]
Warlords 2 is more advanced but I love the simple concept, the pixel art and the wonderful balanced map of part 1 even more. In part 2 you could automate the production and tell fresh produced armies where to go and it had many different maps/scenarios and a editor as far as I remember. The hard part will be the AI and the combat system.

I really loved the flying units like Pegasi or Griffins which could carry a hero and start surprise attacks in the far backyard of the enemy's realm :-D

"And the hero brings 3 allies" - woohoo

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#6]
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1535/designing_ai_algorithms_for_.php