My Menu - early days but progress none the less ;)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/My Menu - early days but progress none the less ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi folks, just got buttons working within a little app I'm creating to display running data (route,speed & heart rate dependant upon the colours of the columns) from a GPS running device.

The large blue arrows allow manipulation of the map in the X & Z planes, I was using key presses up until now to pitch, roll & yaw the camera and rotate the camera - this coupled with 4 more key presses to move the map was getting a bit too much to remember.

I intend to add more arrows to manipulate the camera(s)....

Thanks to MikhailV's excellent FastLibs ;-)

[EDIT removed]

Last edited 2011

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#2]
A little more progress, now have buttons to move the map, the camera and rotate the camera:-

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#3]
Well, constructive criticism - this is the Graphics Showcase, after all:

The arrow buttons are stretched probably because the texture is not a power of two (either completely or at least in one of the sides). You should either fix that by hand or make from scratch arrow buttons that have power-of-two sizes (no need to be square; width and height can be different as long as both are power-of-two).
Also you need to remove the white background. It does not look professional at all the way it is now.
From the way the arrows are already antialised into the image this can't be done without compromising the integrity of the originals - new graphics need to be made.

I would also suggest adding some interface panels. Having things flying on the screen without a framing doesn't give a nice feeling.
Some beveled panels would make it look much more sofisticated.
Good luck!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#4]
Kryzon,

Thankyou for the feedback. The images I'd tried to use were png 's which obviously didn't quite work by the 'white' surrounds to the images.

Your final suggestion about 'panels' is great and I will be incorporating this.

I was just pleased to actually get the functionality brhind the buttons working! Although your feedback gives me a chartered course to steer for now ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#5]
Introduced a panel, this example shows a cheeky 4 mile run around the south west of the UK - can you guess where it is?

Here's a clue, there is an airfield at the left hand side of the image.

You can see in the image above where my heart rate slowed to the 'green' area when I took the following photo:

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#6]
Wow, much better! now it feels like a genuine Windows app.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thanks Kryzon,

my next challenge is to incorporate the functionality behind the more 'complex' buttons I've invoked. The Fly button will be the most challenging, although Charrua posted some sweet code a while ago that generates paths for objects in 3D space, I'm gonna have to dig it out.