HDR test

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/HDR test

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#1]
Just an HDR test with blitz3d.

What do you guys think?

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks really nice; the way the color moods the scene is incredible. I think it's something I lack doing, the "just throw in some color and see what happens" attitude.

About the HDR; unless you are using a floating-point buffer (which holds RGB values with floating point values, and is not limited to the range of 0.0 ~ 1.0), that's not really HDR. You would also need a tone-mapping algorithm to convert these huge values into LDR (the 0.0 ~ 1.0 range), that are values displayable in our monitors.

You are using bloom (also known as glare), that is truly visible.
Bloom is commonly applied as a post-process when rendering with HDR (you bloom the areas that have a color value greater than 1.0).
Bloom is also a side-effect (when looking at a really bright object in real-life!).

What are you using for the bloom? something in the code archives or your own take on it?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#3]
Kryzon
Actually I used FastExtensions for the bloom effect. I actually wasn't using HDR, I was doing some lightmap tricks to kind of trick blitz3d in creating an HDR like effect.

I created the map with 3d world studios. I used 3DWS lightmapping functions to create different lights and to also create the dark atmosphere.

I used the side effects of bloom to my advantage, so the lights of the map would glow and the dark atmosphere of the map would not, creating the illusion if HDR.

I'm actually not aware as of now if HDR is actually possible to render in blitz3d.

You are more than welcome to use my HDR trick if you can, since you have been helping me out alot.

If you are interested, here is the website link to FastExtension.com

http://www.fastlibs.com/index.php

It's EXTREMELY cheap, only $12, and very useful.