Hmm, what else do I need here?

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Hmm, what else do I need here?

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#1]
My current project is a nifty little spaceshooter game, that I intend to sell when
finished. Currently, I'm working on the menu screens.

In between levels you will go back to the 'mothership', where you can build new
weapons, equip your ship, save the game, and talk to a few NPC's. The mothership
consists of 5 different menus, each one with a single NPC, and each NPC serves
a different purpose.(You can chat with all 5 of them by the way, about important
stuff, or just nonsense ;)

Anyways, I'm not quite sure if this is right yet.

Do the speech bubbles look ok, or should I use something else?
Also what about the little selection arrow, should that be animated, or colored,
or does it look alright as is?

Thanks folks,

CGV(Posted 2011) [#2]
Maybe the arrow should be more obvious.

For a game like this where you have 3D rendered characters I don't think comic book like speech bubbles are really appropriate. You need to make a physical console type of panel where you can display any text and icons needed.

Last edited 2011

H&K(Posted 2011) [#3]
The replies should be in think bubbles

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#4]
You need to make a physical console type of panel where you can display any text and icons needed.

Could you go into farther detail with this? by physical console, do you mean like the
kind of chat box most RPG games have?

I can pretty easily convert these to think bubbles, if you think that would work better ;)

Cheers, and anymore advice you guys have is most appreciated!

CGV(Posted 2011) [#5]
Could you go into farther detail with this? by physical console, do you mean like the
kind of chat box most RPG games have?

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Although re-reading your description of the game you're not making an RPG so maybe a console's not the way to go.

But I wouldn't use the speech bubbles that come with your paint program, they really look terrible.

Check out these screenshots from Spandex Force they might give you some ideas.

Why would you put speech into think bubbles?

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#6]
Why would you put speech into think bubbles?

Because your character would be thinking about the options. He isn't going to speak all of them. When you pick an option, *then* it can be displayed in a speech bubble because your character would speak the choice.

Last edited 2011

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'm now considering ditching the renders at the suggestion of my graphics designer,
and more going for something along these lines.

Do you think this is more fitting to a spaceshooter type game?

CGV(Posted 2011) [#8]
Because your character would be thinking about the options. He isn't going to speak all of them. When you pick an option, *then* it can be displayed in a speech bubble because your character would speak the choice.

We must be seeing different images then.

@WERDNA, yeah those graphics are more fitting, those are the type of console panels I was talking about, but are you planning on mortgaging the farm!

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#9]
but are you planning on mortgaging the farm!

lol, my graphics designer said he's going to try making something along those lines. So
we'll see if he can pull it off :)
(That screen is apparently from Eve online by the way)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#10]
Speech bubbles are not really bad, but I'd suggest the following:

Use dynamic size and shrink reasonably. Big lots of white space around the text looks
unfinished.
Use the more rectangular one, not the round (the round one doesn't fit in the futuristic structures of spacecraft)
Make the bubble translucent (not too much), about 20 percent alpha transparency.

You maybe best draw things to the backbuffer, then copy it to a texture and render this texture on a quad with some alpha transparency. Or do this for the bubbles only, and add the text in 2D, to prevent blurness.

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#11]
Hey those are some good ideas jfk!

Smurfpuss(Posted 2011) [#12]
i juat wonder why the girl in th first imag dosent have any boots and the woman in the corner bellow have like 50 boots laying n the corner pretty rude she cant share some

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#13]
i juat wonder why the girl in th first imag dosent have any boots and the woman in the corner bellow have like 50 boots laying n the corner pretty rude she cant share some

lol.

Chances are these renders won't even be used anymore. Project Alpha, now named
Shattered Earth, is undergoing quite a few changes right now ;)

Hey You In the Bushes(Posted 2011) [#14]
Looks cool! =) I suggest changing the font bro, as Arial(?) doesn't look very space-alicious. Transparency, less white space, and maybe make it less static - e.g., your arrow selector fades in and out slowly, the unselected menu items are a light grey until they're hovered over upon which they quickly fade to full black, etc. Good luck, I'd like to see this when it's all finished! I'm stoked for you brother!

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#15]
lol, thanks for the response, but I cut these out of the game some time ago :)
It will have menu screens more like the sample one from EVE Online that's in my third post.

Dabhand(Posted 2011) [#16]
First thing that popped into my head when I saw the first screenie:-

Greetings, Commander. How may I assist you?

(Take me to the Command Center)
(Take me to the Ship Hangar)
(Take me to the Weapons Lab)
(Take me to the Computer Lab)
(FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T TAKE ME ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR HAIRDRESSER) <--
(Chat)

:)

Dabz

WERDNA(Posted 2011) [#17]
lol.

She was the first one I put together, so it was a bit of an experiment. She doesn't even
have shoes :)
(Not to mention the model is technically naked. I just changed the color of various sections
of her skin, lol!)

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#18]
looking good!

Hmm, what else do I need here?
Some hair :P
While -some- girls look hot with a shaved head the cueball look is always a bit too exctreme for me :D

on a serious note...

I would suggest trying a slight grey fade gradient towards the edges of the bubbles and/or perhaps somewhere between 50-70% alpha on the whole bubble as the white is a bit powefull and is zapping some of that nice artwork..

basically - I feel like i should be able to see the background through the bubble a little bit. After all sound has no visible presence (except in extreme circumstances).

Last edited 2011

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#19]
Just to screw with people, I'd suggest adding a fuzzy hair shader to the shaven head girl - but not to her head, just to her body.

And a mustache.

And more boots.

Last edited 2011