Volvo Truck (WIP)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Volvo Truck (WIP)

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#1]
As I have been unable to get to work for the last 3 days because of the snow that's hit the UK. I decide to spend some time and get a little closer to finishing of some 3D modelling and texture work that I've been messing around with for the last few months.
This model stands at 2780 tri's and is using a 1024x1024 texture.
There's still a little work left to do on the back and underneath. I just can not find any good reference pictures on these places.

Last edited 2010

ICECAP(Posted 2010) [#2]
Ref pictures? Or blueprints for modelling?
If you are looking for blueprints then try http://www.the-blueprints.com.

If you are looking for images, I get most of mine from a simple google image search. Works wonders.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#3]
Ref pictures? Or blueprints for modelling?
Blue prints aren't the problem. I know of a number of sites that do these and most of them are just copies of the same thing. As I said above "reference pictures" on the back (by this I mean the chassis with component layout) and underneath are hard to find as even the workshop manuals that I have managed to find don't give any clear indication on these areas. It's a pity that I don't know any truckers as I may have been able to get some decent pictures.
The only site I've found that so far that give some indication of what the chassis looks like is a site that does scale models. I'm also thinking of modifying the back to try and give the appearance of a chassis and associated components, but I don't know how much it will effect the poly count by.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Hmm, I think you need to add some grunge and scratches to the colored parts, especially on the seams. It's too smooth - unrealistically, in a way.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#5]
the wheels are great, the rest is pretty good

Gameworx(Posted 2010) [#6]
Great model and also texture. I like it very much. Keep up the good work.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#7]
Ok a little update
I wasn't happy with how the back of the truck was shaping up with trying to fake the components so I decide to go ahead with modifying that part of the model. As luck would have it I found a picture of a similar model to the FH12 with out the side so it gave me something to work with. The model now stands at 3564 tri's (up 784) and is still using a 1024x1024 texture map.

@Kryzon: Was thinking along those lines about adding a dirtmap and some sort of sheen to the coloured panels to give the effect of shiny/metallic paint as it's too flat. I've still got some things to add that would be within the engine compartment and then I will play around with a dirt and specular map as well as some high lights.

@slenkar & Gameworx: Thanks. Though I had to change the texture that I used for the rim as I wasn't sure on the copyright and the rim was off center. It looked odd when I animated it so I knocked one up in Photoshop.

Last edited 2010