playing with my blocky robot

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/playing with my blocky robot

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#1]
just trying to get a good beat up metal look, cartoony-ish, if possible

ive never tried the rugged look before, there must be some technique to it, where the edges are worn going to almost white base metal

perhaps lay a base coat and scratch off/ paint out bits or over paint with a scratch texture, or even layers and alpha out, im just over painting over & over again....its all fun ;)

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Yue(Posted 2010) [#2]
Goog Robot :)

ardee(Posted 2010) [#3]
This tutorial is pretty much the final word on what you're trying to achieve.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024&page=1&pp=15

A quick and dirty method is to do an ambient occlusion map, then edge detect in gimp or Photoshop, a bit of blur, a bit of irregular brush and job done.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#4]
thats not a bad tut, i think its about time i got into gimp

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#5]
good robot

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#6]
Love it!

That would be so fun to make 2D animated sprites with 8)

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#7]
Looks great.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#8]
i always found i had to simplify the texture for 2d sprites, they look messy when downsized, so perhaps a texture like this is too busy

although im taking about back in the stone age on the amiga when i had to get a sprite/bob down to 64 pixies x 64

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#9]
Well, now-a-days with 2D being done via 3D quads its easy to scale down without too much "damage"

I'm sure that an artist would say "it must be made for the resolution it was designed for" but IMHO, a really playable game will trump any minor graphic issues.

scribbla(Posted 2010) [#10]
so 2d now uses 3d quads, just shows how long its been since i touched 2d,

yeh that sounds like it would downsize a bit better, i remember downsizing pixies was a nightmare