Rock it like it's 1980!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Rock it like it's 1980!

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just for some fun I was wondering if we could throw together some low polygon vehicle models that look like vintage 80's work. There were some very innovative vector games then and they had very limited resources. See how much you can do with a few primitive polygons!

I'll start things off!

This is a tank, I designed tonight in about an hour. It was difficult to come with a simple yet effective design for the treads.

.3ds model here. (Please do not use in your projects.)
http://www.mediafire.com/?083vw6v5c7eize3

Feel free to take a crack at making an 80's low poly vehicle monochrome model!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#2]
nice good looking zx specturm tank :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#3]
You're a legend, Burnside. I like the way you name it after the creator of Blitz! ; )

I'm sorry to get personal, but your turret is a little on the short side. :)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#4]
That's what SHE said! Oh wait...

Thanks for your kind words. I will probably make a few more, again this is open to everyone to try. I had the pleasure of playing some vector based games and somehow I just like simple polygon shapes that form something more than the sum of their parts.

Anyone else want to give this a try? Any vehicle low poly as you like to go.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#5]
how do you get rid of the triangle lines and keep the lines you want?

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#6]
how do you get rid of the triangle lines and keep the lines you want?

Make a list of all lines in the model, and then remove all lines which belong to more than one triangle and where both triangles share a common normal. Or to put it another way, keep only the lines which either only appear in one triangle or where the triangles face in a different direction.

You need some kind of tolerance with the triangle normals, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Just compare the normals with the dot product and use a scalar as the tolerance.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#7]
hmm wonder if blender or 3dsmax has a script for that

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#8]
I modeled it in AutoCAD actually. :)
Really though triangles are not really a bad thing...