A WIP 3d model of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/A WIP 3d model of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King

JustLuke(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm using Cheetah 3d on OSX to create this. Don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I thought I'd share it with you lot.

Any feedback - positive or negative - is welcome.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
very good you could use it for a logo,
or just put it in a program that makes it come towards the screen to annoy people

puki(Posted 2010) [#3]
"Sun Wukong"?

It looks good, but, the question that 2.4 million Blitzers are asking themselve is 'Why?'.

Why "Sun Wukong"? I mean, he is hardly "Mickey Mouse", or "Batman" or anyone that the non-oriental world would probably know much about.

Ked(Posted 2010) [#4]
Wait, it's a real character?! I thought you just made it up...

JustLuke(Posted 2010) [#5]
"Sun Wukong"?

It looks good, but, the question that 2.4 million Blitzers are asking themselve is 'Why?'.

Why "Sun Wukong"? I mean, he is hardly "Mickey Mouse", or "Batman" or anyone that the non-oriental world would probably know much about.

He was a main character in The Forbidden Kingdom, which was a major hollywood movie a couple of years ago - played by Jet Li.

Also, lots of people of a certain age in the UK remember watching Monkey! on TV; even though they might only retain vague memories of a japanese guy flying around on a cloud and being accompanied by a man with pig ears, a girl dressed like a priest, and another guy with a skull necklace. I reckon a few people would know what I'm referring to if I (god forbid) sung the theme tune, too.

This was probably my favourite show as a kid.

Besides, I have one foot in the "oriental world", as you put it - my wife is Chinese, our future child (due in February - yay!) will be half-Chinese, and I spend a significant amount of my time in China.

And Sun Wukong is a funky monkey, which is reason enough.

My version is a more traditional take on the character than the one seen in the above picture -similar to the various versions of the character that have appeared in Chinese TV adaptions of the story.

For example:

and

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#6]
I remember watching Monkey Magic when I was younger. I could never work out if that priest was a male or a female, though. I think the character was meant to be male, but the actor seemed to be female.

LineOf7s(Posted 2010) [#7]
Bill: Correct - female actor playing male priest.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#8]
gawd you guys need some culture

He's the main character in the ancient Chinese tale "Journey to the West"

geez

(also Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn made an animation about him for the Olympics in China)

(also also I grew up in Korea and he was a character in this one awesome arcade game that I forget the title of)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#9]
Also, lots of people of a certain age in the UK remember watching Monkey! on TV; even though they might only retain vague memories of a japanese guy flying around on a cloud and being accompanied by a man with pig ears, a girl dressed like a priest, and another guy with a skull necklace. I reckon a few people would know what I'm referring to if I (god forbid) sung the theme tune, too.

Yaaay... just a dragonball clone.. ok.. dragonball itself is based on the ancient Chinese tale "Journey to the West" :=)

At least.. i think dragonball had make a better use of the base story (the first ~34 episodes - rest of the serie is .. "not so good"). Argh.. Episode ~92 is missed. There will be showed the actor/ape char. story part ...

JustLuke: Will the 3d model used in a game or animated movie? Wich sort of game/movie genre?

LineOf7s(Posted 2010) [#10]
just a dragonball clone

Um, yeah. Like Doom is a clone of Borderlands. :o\

More on-topic: that is a sweet model of a very famous character. Nice work.

Off-topic: "Gandara, Gandara, they said it was in India..."

Yan(Posted 2010) [#11]
Born from an egg on a mountain top...ETC...

@JustLuke - I like him, not sure about his head though, too pointy perhaps?