Ogre dude

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Ogre dude

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#1]

Made this with Sculptris.. in about 30 minutes. Very high poly, but I found a way to reduce the polygons to about 3000 through blender. Now if I could only figure out how to make a half way decent looking texture :D

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
he would look better with thick muscular limbs,
otherwise pretty good

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#3]
He needs a bra. But, I like the design overall.

plash(Posted 2010) [#4]
Dear God D:

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#5]
I think he's scared and doesn't want to be sculpted any more.

N(Posted 2010) [#6]
otherwise pretty good
No. This is not pretty good or good, it's just a lumpy model, and that's bad.

You need to work on building up shapes before you start going high detail with anything (although in your case, you went high res without even getting any sort of detail, and that's bad too). Something like this:

There's no detail, but the general expression and shapes are sort of there. Secondly, your anatomy sucks more than mine (that's bad, 'cause I suck at anatomy), and there's only one really obvious cure for that (so I'll leave the solution to you).

Hopefully that makes sense. I can't really give you any sort of criticism that would turn this model into something good, because that's just not going to happen, so at best those're the basics you're missing. Also, owning a tablet helps.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#7]
Nillum your cheak bones are way out of shape and the face looks like he is being suffocated in a cloth sack! I think the devil character is a good start, you just need to keep practicing. Nothing wrong with starting on high poly/ detail as it is often easier to sculpt with for a begginer. As you get kore confident you can refine your modelling to less and less waste polygon!

bye(Posted 2010) [#8]
Sculptris is great, nice find. Here's my beginner attempt... (I know it sucks ass and has no ears, but it's only my 2nd go) ¬_¬

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#9]
ok this one is good

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#10]
Like I said, I spent about 20 minutes on him max, I wasn't expecting some grand masterpiece. That being said, I appreciate the constructive criticism. I'm quite the beginner at 3d modeling (I can't even figure out how to properly unwrap a low poly version of this!)

@Nillium, in sculptris, you have no choice but to start high res like a big virtual clay ball, then later you can run it through something like blender to produce a low-poly counterpart. My model in particular looks much better low poly(as it was intended, I made it basic shape because details are lost when dropped down to 2000-3000 polys)

Cicero, that's really good! I'll post some more quickies when I get a chance, I really like sculptris.

Here's a low poly version in blender (just under 2k polys)

N(Posted 2010) [#11]
I've used Sculptris, and no, you don't have to start high-res - at least not in the sense I'm talking about. The only thing that increases resolution is a) painting with a small brush size and b) forcing subdivision. If you stick to large brushes and define shapes first, you won't be working on high resolution details. That means no lips, no eyes, at least not where you're trying to draw out eyelids and such.

Also, those arms look like featherless chicken wings.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
..maybe creature suppose to look like that..aa?

therevills(Posted 2010) [#13]
With Sculptris can you use a tablet and use the pressure of the "pen"?

Yahfree(Posted 2010) [#14]
Thanks for the criticism, maybe the next one won't be so terrible :D

Therevills:
I haven't tried it when my tablet, but I'm assuming no.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#15]
i think your ogre looks pretty good, can you colour him green (diffuse material) and take a pic from an angle to make him look as if he was a 2d iso sprite?

N(Posted 2010) [#16]
With Sculptris can you use a tablet and use the pressure of the "pen"?
Yes, but it's iffy sometimes.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#17]
Yes, but it's iffy sometimes.

Cool - Thanks

Heres my 20 minute play at work using a mouse:

maximo(Posted 2010) [#18]
my eeeyees they hurt, take it easy on the modeling guys :D

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#19]
please dont attempt this at home

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#20]
this thread gave me the lulz xD

nice work though! better than anything I've attempted ;)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#21]
I think I get what Nilium is saying. If you're trying to reproduce anatomy, study anatomy (as obvious as that may sound, it's the one thing I tend to forget with the eagerness of trying to make something cool or trying a new tool).

Ruz(Posted 2010) [#22]
what might be even better is to make a low poly version, defining the main shapes. you can sculpt when you have a better understanding of how stuff works.
so yeah try modelling a simple character in any 3d package first. That's how learned.
learn about subdivision modelling and good edge flow.