..a demo shots..

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/..a demo shots..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#1]
..some screenshots from demo of my game im working on some time already..right now polishing some bits (particles, and few other things) but its pretty much done..i couldnt post more than this one level due NDA signed with publisher..anyway, I hope you like it..

plash(Posted 2010) [#2]
Two things I'm going to say here: HDR lighting, too much. Anti-aliasing, none (?).

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#3]

Two things I'm going to say here: HDR lighting, too much. Anti-aliasing, none (?).

thats something what can be adjusted/turned on/off in main menu..usually I never have some of those features enabled while testing things, what is about these shots, but point taken..

N(Posted 2010) [#4]
I think you might've gone overboard with the bloom. Really overboard. Aside from that, it looks nice enough.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#5]
Hard to tell what the game is about...some kind of medieval snowboarding?

Character looks good, environment is well done but with all that glowy snow it begins to remind me of Xylvan's games.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#6]
looks good overall

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#7]
I'm just gonna say what I think could technically be improved (I myself get a bit touchy when people criticise whatever I did, so I hope you don't get offended).

I agree with the guys on the HDR\Bloom\Glow\Blur on the snow. Perhaps taking it down (or even completely off) and carefully adding an appropriate level of fog, might look better. Key thing here would be to use real-life as reference to see if there is bloom or not (and it looks really like it doesn't). I seriously think a somewhat dense fog would give it a much better look.

But I notice some strange pixel patterns, moirée like in the middle to far ground of each scene. Large areas with a strange plotting. Especially in the first screen (it's most noticeable there).

Looking at the character's cloak texture in the 3rd picture, it seems you are using Nearest-Neighbour filtering? perhaps trying linear or other might turn out better results. Come to think of it, the grey\blueish parts of the snow also show that "nearest-neighbour" aspect (looking at the 4th pic), with hard parts. Are you using Nearest as a default filter for everything?

I'd love to see a video of it in action (with sound); might be even better to see if what I said is really true.

Good luck with your project.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#8]
I don't mind the HDR at all.

There do seem to be an awful lot of visual artifacts all over the images though. At first, I just assumed it was down to the JPEG compression of the screenshots, but then I noticed that they're PNG's, so I guess that's not it.

All around the girl's hands in the first screen there are lines radiating out. On the right mountain peak in the second screen, there are banding artifacts all down that, and what looks like a fingerprint in the middle of the screen.

On top of that everything is really pixellated. I don't think it's just lack of AA either. Partially it seems as though you're using alpha masking instead of alpha blending, at least on the woman's robes. Everything in the distance seems very pixellated too though, and much than I would expect from mere lack of AA.

Additionally, the shadows also have a lot of artifacts. There's already a pretty huge offset from the base of the character, so I'm guessing more blurring will only make that worse. Perhaps you could afford to increase the number of samples being taken for the shadows.

Out of interest, what graphics engine are using for this now? Is this Horde3D, Leadwerks or Phyre? The screenshots you posted before with Horde3D were very impressive, and didn't seem to exhibit these problems.

dmaz(Posted 2010) [#9]
considering this is an all snow environment in the middle of a clear day... I think you want a lot of bloom. though you could add more contrast, especially in the shaded areas.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#10]
Based on the shadows, it looks like you are using LWE. If you are using LWE, the shadows are supposed to look bad. If you are not using LWE, then you really don't want your project looking like it was made with LWE.

As mentioned by somebody else, everything is really pixellated and it looks like it was done with LWE. Again, if you are using LWE, this is the way it should look as every LWE shot looks pixellated. If you are not using LWE, then you really don't want your project looking like it was made with LWE.

The character's hands seem to have some proportion issues. Image #3 & #4 really show this off. The hands and fingers seem abnormally large.

Unlike others, the bright snow looks normal to me. This game level isn't the inner city where snow is dirty and shades of gray. Snow is supposed to be VERY bright in the Sun (This is where the term Snow blindness came from.) and very "glowy" under the moonlight.

Above things aside, I like the level design. Without knowing what the game is about, I would guess a post-apocalyptic RPG style. Whatever it is, it looks very interesting looking to me.

With the exception of the hands, all the other issues (shadows, pixellation) could solely be attributed to LWE if you are using LWE (every LWE shot will always and does always have these same issues), so it really isn't fair to blame you for the limitations/problems of the engine. However, if you are not using LWE, then these things could likely be improved. Like I said before, you really do not want your game to look like it was made with LWE.

At the end of the day, as long as the publisher is happy, you should be too.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#11]
I like the overall look of it. Shield snow boarding seems like making fun. I assume it's some sort of fantasy medieval free roam RPG. Would like to try the demo.

@GaryV: sorry for my ignorance, but what do you refer to with this LWE mantra all the time ?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#12]
Hi lo-tekk - I think GaryV is referring to Leadwerks Engine, but I could be mistaken.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#13]
Hi lo-tekk - I think GaryV is referring to Leadwerks Engine, but I could be mistaken.

I had the same thought right in this moment. :-)

Hi Naughty Alien, when can we try a demo. If it's done with LWE, I would be eager to see the engine in action.

JoshK(Posted 2010) [#14]
considering this is an all snow environment in the middle of a clear day... I think you want a lot of bloom. though you could add more contrast, especially in the shaded areas.

It should also be considered that you would normally wear snow goggles or very dark wraparound sunglasses in these conditions, or you would go blind. So I am not sure simulating a clear snowy landscape at noon with no visual protection is a good idea.

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#15]
they didnt have shades in medieval times :)

puki(Posted 2010) [#16]
They didn't snowboard on shields.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#17]
Well, if scientific accuracy is prefered, then I think the bloom could be safely removed because the player is seeing the game through a "camera", which doesn't suffer as much difraction from the snow as do human eyes (hence they need the special goggles).

I mean, look at snow photos or footage of snow from films (both of which were recorded with cameras, the same point of view as in a game). They don't have that much bloom.

Of course, adding bloom would mean you're trying to give the player the feeling that he is "seeing through the character's eyes". It's the same situation when you have to decide where to place your listener: in the camera or in the character (so all 3D sounds are relative to the camera or the player - both situations give different feelings of immersion).

Serpent(Posted 2010) [#18]
Ignoring scientific accuracy, I personally think the bloom effect does seem to work well. As Kryzon said, it makes the player feel more immersion, and I think it gives a nice feel to the scene.

Shambler(Posted 2010) [#19]
They didn't snowboard on shields.

I want to see your evidence!

Bloom effect looks suitable to me.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#20]
..guys, I was just showing progress at that time and pics shown are not final version, just WIP at that time..and this is not about scientific accuracy..its a game..geezz..what would you say for dragons and some other mythical creatures in game...they are not scientific accurate either...sigh..