Eddy (Bunker Skin)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Eddy (Bunker Skin)

N(Posted 2010) [#1]
#model_design is having a challenge over on Polycount:

So I'm participating, seeing as how I've been on #md for years (longer than I've been on these forums, actually), and I think it's tons of fun to do stuff the way I did years ago.

As such, this is Eddy, my skin (the head is something I've had sitting around for a while, so I'm giving it a body). And I'll be posting more pictures as I continue work on it. Until one of the next posts, here's the current state of the skin:

Not a whole lot to say after that. Here's some work-in-progress shots, I guess:

And this is a skin I started before I decided to make/finish Eddy instead:

Usual disclaimer: model isn't mine, it was made by BoBo the Seal.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
Reminds me of Susan Boyle.

N(Posted 2010) [#3]
Susan Boyle was quite handsome.

N(Posted 2010) [#4]
Slightly more done with the pants. Also, arm hair! for all those times when you need a touch of the masculinity about the house and your dainty arms just can't get the job done.

N(Posted 2010) [#5]
Started on the back.

Yeah, I don't really care if I end up with a long string of posts.

Panno(Posted 2010) [#6]
sorry to say but i dislike the left eye

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#7]
sorry to say but i dislike the left eye
The left eye looks okay to me, but the right one looks like he has a black eye.

N(Posted 2010) [#8]
I've seen black eyes before and I don't really get the impression that he's got one, but considering the damage to his face, I think whether or not someone sees that won't hurt it any. As for disliking the left eye (I'm not sure which left, but I'm guessing yours and not the model's), it's not changing.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#9]
Looking nice :)

How did you paint [and shade] the metal parts? (especially that thingamajig in his ears)

The mesh is also nice, I wish I could model like that. Do you have any idea why BoBo mapped the head and body separately?
I was looking at some hacked meshes from Kingdom Hearts and they had like, 3 or 4 textures each, for specific sections of the mesh. I thought the more surfaces = bad.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#10]
Cool, "stop gimmie yo stink eye foo!" (he is giving us the stink eye). Impressive game character texturing :)

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#11]
very good noel

I used to search on google for hours for tutorials on how to texture like that but never found anything good.

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#12]
I'm loving the texture work here!

Awesome job! :)

N(Posted 2010) [#13]
How did you paint [and shade] the metal parts? (especially that thingamajig in his ears)
Careful painting and with some use of texture overlays (that is, just slapping on a metal overlay is not something you should do). There are more things I can say about how I specifically paint things in general, but they wouldn't teach you how to paint metal any better than they would teach you how to paint organics.

Do you have any idea why BoBo mapped the head and body separately?
Because it's standard practice and allows for a variety of textures to be applied to a single model with interchangeable pieces (in Quake 3's case, head/body/legs). In Quake 3: Team Arena, you could pick a model and then pick a different head, so that's another reason. Additionally, putting the head on its own texture sheet gives you fewer problems when UV mapping and at times can reduce the amount of memory actually used. There are too many reasons to think of, and many of them don't have anything to do with technical stuff and many of them do have to do with technical stuff, so I'll leave it up to you to come up with them.

I thought the more surfaces = bad.
This is a problem with Blitz3D, not the rest of the world.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#14]
Makes perfect sense indeed. Separating the maps would allow you to tint the clothing according to a team or whatever, and keep the head texture intact.

Good luck on the challenge.

N(Posted 2010) [#15]
Boots, for all your trampling needs. Also crotch guard thing, improved arms and pants, etc.

DareDevil(Posted 2010) [#16]
very goooooooood!!!

N(Posted 2010) [#17]
Just got around to working on the lower armor segment. Only have maybe 30-45 minutes put into this (after a bunch of fiddling around with colors because I lost my palette for the hundred thousandth time).

I'm still not sure about those inlets on the front. I don't want to put plugs down there, but it might still change. Also, texture filtering in Silo sucks, so there might be a couple artifacts just from that.

Ruz(Posted 2010) [#18]
looks good so far Noel. Might be worth using a bit of yellow in the highlights of the orange bits as it looks a wee bit saturated right, but that's just the way I would do it.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#19]
Fantastic work man. Back when I was trying to be a character artist, I used to see the fantastic textures people on Polycount paint and wished I could paint textures that well.

Small question: Why did you change the symbol in front from a musical note to a little bomb? For that matter, why is there a little symbol in front?

N(Posted 2010) [#20]
The musical note and the skin's name are/were references to Eddie from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. There's a symbol in the first place because I think it adds some character, and in the case of it being a bomb, I think it might add a little bit of a story about how his eye got to be the way it is.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#21]
I like it, and would like to be able to texture and model characters as wel as that but I don't quite get what he's wearing on his head..it looks like he has an elongated head, which I'm guessing is because of the hat he wears - is it a beanie or something?

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#22]
yeah thats true, remove the hat and he will look a lot cooler

N(Posted 2010) [#23]
That's not happening.

Ked(Posted 2010) [#24]
I think he looks awesome. Man, I wish I could model. And I mean 3D modelling. Heh.

dogzer(Posted 2010) [#25]
amazing!!