Mario Themed 3D Sidescrolling Background

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Mario Themed 3D Sidescrolling Background

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#1]
A little something I put together for the sake of experimentation :)

Here's how the models look in AC3D:

Here's the models in Blitz3D and working their function as a scrolling background meant for a 2D sidescrolling Mario game. Note, this picture is an animated gif, please give it time to load.

degac(Posted 2010) [#2]
Great!
Good work

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#3]
brilliant as it show trick on how to do it :)

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yeah, thanks for the behind the scenes look at how it's laid out :)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#5]
WOW! This is really nice!

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks! I'll be working on the next background later tonight.

Also, the game will be fully open sourced, so be expecting allot of raw material (code, music, graphics, etc);)

And keep an eye on this thread for more background tests :)

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#7]
Me likey!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#8]
That's very cool. I'm impressed that you got it to loop perfectly too.

Noobody(Posted 2010) [#9]
Very interesting. I like it!

Is it just an optical illusion or are the objects rotating in the GIF?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#10]
If this were in the gallery, it would be an easy five vote.

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#11]
@BlitzSupport & Nobody: The animated loop is a little trickery done by moving the camera a few pixels and taking a snapshot per move. Then I combined the images in Animation Shop Pro turning it into a looping gif.

In the code however the scenery is tiled vertically (10 times) but is not looped. Its programed to move left or right by the directional buttons. So it still serves its purpose. Looping or not. :)

@GaryV: I never thought to submit it to the gallery... Perhaps I will!

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#12]
Here's a screenshot of the program set to 800 x 600 (the game will be a default 320 x 240.)

That's the image I just submitted to the gallery. They wont take animated gifs, so this would have to do.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#13]
Neat idea! :-D

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#14]
The best gallery image so far for 2010!

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#15]
@GaryV: tell that to the chaps who rated the image so far xD

though 3.5 isnt so bad. that's considered decent. :)

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#16]
I was the very first one to rate it and I gave it a 5. ;)

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#17]
Well I suppose people would have to see the background in action to fully appreciate the visual brilliance of it ;)

I did some tweaking on it since that last screenshot, it looks much more improved (got the clouds to scroll and other things) and also I'm working on the 2D tileset to go with it in the foreground. Once I have a simple tile map editor made in Blitz I'll begin work on a platform engine :)

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#18]
I think the gallery should be updated to include animated gifs.

You got a 5 from me.

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#19]
thanks, Doggie :)

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#20]
Okay... need some opinions...

for this background:
this tileset:

or this tileset:

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#21]
I like the first better, the colors complement each other better. The ground in the second image clashes with the green vegetation.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#22]
I agree with jhocking.

Hezkore(Posted 2010) [#23]
I like the second tileset, but the colours should be changed...
The "dirt" looks horrible in the first tileset and the shading on the grass isn't very nice either.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#24]
Can you animate things with AC3D?

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#25]
@Hezkore: I designed the first tileset as a testing tileset while designing the sprites in The Games Factory (I kinda just like their easy to use graphics editor :P ) Sorry if it does seem a bit... well... horrible. as you so kindly put it ;) - as for the second tileset, I think I like your advise about recoloring so I'll play around with it in Paint Shop Pro. Unfortunately, due to popular vote (on and off the Blitz community) the second tileset wont be used for this particular background. I'll instead take the first tileset and try to spruce it up a bit to be used instead. :)

@Kryzon: Unfortunately not. But its still a damn good editor for building models for your games. I use Milkshape for my animation needs.

on a second note, I think there is a plugin for AC3D that enables some kind of animation. But don't take my word for it. Just research it. If your interested in getting AC3D that is.

theHand(Posted 2010) [#26]
You could make good money doing a huge load of these and selling them as material for such games to developers of.
If it has the "Mario style", people will surely buy it and use it. Render off hundreds of images at every degree of 360 , and the top view, etc etc. I would buy it.

Especially if you did a batch ala Super Mario RPG. :D

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#27]
Doing it with the Mario theme is a bit risky... in the legal sense ;)

But I could eventually build a library of none Mario related graphics to be sold to developers :) Thanks for the idea! Maybe I'll get rich! xD

theHand(Posted 2010) [#28]
Well, once you can afford to pay Nintendo's fees, you'll be all good.

Edit: Or, they could only be used for non-commercial works. Then you'd be alright, right?
Anyways I love them.

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#29]
Nintendo is hard to do business with... so I've learned from research. :P

The project as in whole will be a freeware game, graphics and all, so I'm sure it'll be legal in some way since I'm not intending to make money off of it :P

I've long since changed the tileset for tat background to something much better. I'll post screenshots soon :)

dogzer(Posted 2010) [#30]
i love this!!!

dogzer(Posted 2010) [#31]
btw i like the 2nd one better, although i think both are awesome.
The wavy design appeals me more, maybe the 1st one has a color which stands out more.

Xilvan(Posted 2010) [#32]
The amelioration over tiles are very neat... It look more modern than the initial Mario tiles dated to the 90th. Old graphics were very great in that time and I think you have ameliorated the style.

I hope it will finish up into a solid game, full of bonus and fun.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#33]
Very nice, good idea.

I like the second tiles but should be hue shifted to match the first tileset color-wise. (I'm sure you know this already, but you can do this quickest in in PS or Gimp using the Hue/Saturation tool)

Ruz(Posted 2010) [#34]
I would look at the colour scheme as for example the blue is the bluest ultramarine I have ever seen.
Another thing is why are the models so low poly. If you are rendering the 3d models as 2d why does it need to look so low res.

Also the light blue domes have horrible hard edges. Why not assign one smoothing group and subdivide it so it looks smoother.

Lastly the clouds are all lined up in a row. Makes the whole thing look very repetitive
Its a good start but I think you need to refine it quite a bit

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#35]
Actually, long since the tile comparison post I've changed the tileset for that bg:

But even that screenshot is a bit dated (finished the tileset just last week though)

I've started work on the background for that second tileset just recently, I'll post pictures soon (for both the first background tileset and the new one), and then we'll see if it needs to be hued. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

Ruz(Posted 2010) [#36]
actually it looks better in the context of the ui