Simple dungeon 'rpg' style scene

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Simple dungeon 'rpg' style scene

Matty(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello,

I put this together last night for a bit of fun, was mainly playing around with the volumetric lights...all the creatures are Poser models, while the environment (very simple) was put together in XSI and rendered in XSI.

Tempts me to try and make another game (currently not working on one and am hesitant to start since I already spend enough time in front of the PC..)

puki(Posted 2010) [#2]
The characters look excellent.

I vote soldier on and make the game.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#3]
How did you get the characters to be low enough quality? And what format are you using for them? Looks excellent :)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Aww come on... no shadows? :(

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Are you allowed to use Poser geometry in games now? I didn't think you could.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#6]
Hi all - no you are not allowed to use poser figures in a game, but this is not a game, just a render from within XSI of a scene, (I thought I said that in the original post though...oh well).

Kryzon - there are shadows it is just that the scene is so well lit that they're not all that visible, if you look closely enough you may see them.

If I were to make a game with these I'd do what I've done in the past and do it in 2d, as an isometric view.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2010) [#7]
This is a silly question, but I need to ask...
Are you using Blitz3D, BlitzMax, or some other 3d engine/language?

So many people posting here and on other forums tend to post projects they have developed with other systems!

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#8]
c'mon people read his posts

rendered in XSI.

this is not a game, just a render from within XSI

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#9]
there are shadows it is just that the scene is so well lit that they're not all that visible, if you look closely enough you may see them.

I think that's the problem. Perhaps a darker setting would be nicer, with some torches and such, making it more dungeon-like, y'know?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#10]
Okay...I'll play around the lighting, make it a bit 'darker' perhaps some time over the weekend.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#11]
Slightly different one:

Regarding shadows, because I use so many area lights, and there is some indirect illumination going on most of the objects themselves don't cast very visible shadows....

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#12]
puki just had an orgasm.

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#13]
I'm not sure what the use of this is?

Matty(Posted 2010) [#14]
No use, just felt like making a picture, as described in title.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#15]
This is really nice, Matty. I really like the last one.

I'm not sure what the use of this is?
Does this help? Personally, I prefer the definition given in the first paragraph here.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2010) [#16]
Lol, showing graphics in the graphics showcase section. How inappropriate.

And very impressive graphics at that.

Doggie(Posted 2010) [#17]
I wasn't serious. That looks great. I especially like the lighting in the second pic.

puki(Posted 2010) [#18]
It's okay peeps, "Doggie" was just having a return joke relating to this:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=89831#1021307

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#19]
Nice job placing the torches, but the characters are lit as if there were hundreds of fluorescent lamps on the ceiling (while the environment is coal black). They're kinda "fullbright", not realistic.

What I'd do: dim the characters' illumination and increase the ambient light.
The ideal would be an in-between lighting from the first picture to this black one.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#20]
Now if only I could be bothered to make a game from it.....they just take up so much of my time if I go down that route....