New NPCs!

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/New NPCs!

Drak(Posted 2010) [#1]
A few pictures of some NPCs in my rpg i've been working on for like 73 years.

A local patrol passes by, curious about what the player is doing. A peasant watches the patrol pass.

The guards always seem so interested in you...

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#2]
Reminds me of Wales.

SoggyP(Posted 2010) [#3]
Hello.

But without the litter, cigarette butts and skiving farquars that infest our beautiful hills.

Goodbye,

Ruz(Posted 2010) [#4]
not bad really. Bit lacking in detail but certainly from a distance the shapes and silhouettes look fine

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#5]
Looks interesting. Needs a bit of shadowing to add perspective, though.

Lightmapping and sprite shadows would be good enough.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#6]
Pretty impressive, I can see you've put a lot of work into this.

*(Posted 2010) [#7]

Looks interesting. Needs a bit of shadowing to add perspective, though.

Lightmapping and sprite shadows would be good enough.

+1

it looks AMAZING just needs shadows and shading to make the system work perfect :)

Drak(Posted 2010) [#8]
Thanks guys! It has been a ton of work but it's coming together a bit more every day.

Drak(Posted 2011) [#9]
STILL working on this off and on. Making some good progress lately. Got a few new npc shots here. I totally remade the head meshes of the npcs. Now every head is the same, comes bald, then has an appropriate head item added to it. This can be either hair, hats, helmets, caps, whatever I need. Here they are all wearing simple caps because that's what they are created with originally.

Here's a closeup.

Another face texture. Same head, different texture.

Here, I have pissed off the guards. Normally the player would be dead with this many arrows all over the place, but it makes for a good picture.

Turning around, this is the aftermath of the shootout. Each aimed shot is given a variation based on the enemies archery, so it adds a little "spray" as shown here. Someone hit the apple!

MCP(Posted 2011) [#10]
The arrow scenes look great! Shadows will definately spruce this up. Good work so far!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#11]
Looks good and sounds like a powerful character system.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#12]
You have the best and realtic sun in Blitzbasic so far

Drak(Posted 2011) [#13]
Thanks for the comments guys. Feedback is always appreciated. Shadows is definately on the list down the line.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2011) [#14]
Love the shot from the pointy end of the Arrows!

6(Posted 2011) [#15]
This looks cool. Any videos so we can it in action?

Last edited 2011

Drak(Posted 2011) [#16]

This looks cool. Any videos so we can it in action?

Sorry, but I don't have any video capturing software.

6(Posted 2011) [#17]
There are lots of free ones. I've used CamStudio which is pretty good.

Drak(Posted 2011) [#18]
Thanks I'll definately look into this.

Drak(Posted 2012) [#19]

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#20]
Drak>>Nice work !

I wonder how you manage to personalize the appearance of each character ?
Do you load several hairs/clothes/accessories meshes and set these meshes as childs of a base human mesh (or of some bones)
or
Do you load several hairs/clothes/accessories meshes and write a custom .b3d mesh for each character ?

I guess the second solution is better to decrease the number of surfaces per character, but it is more complicated to do.

Related to this subject, have you found a way to set the influence of a bone over some vertices with bb code or when writting a .b3d file ?
For example if i want to have a base human mesh (naked) and add clothes with influences of some bones over some vertices ?

Interesting project :)

Drak(Posted 2012) [#21]

I wonder how you manage to personalize the appearance of each character ?

1. Load the body. The body has the stored animations for all types of characters. The body has no head.

2. Attach a head to the body, and parent it to the neck bone. Every head is the same exact head, then, (in the case of random npcs) I randomly place one of 7 different face textures onto it. Now I have 7 possible faces.
Being non-attached to the body also allows the head to turn to face the player (when wanted) no matter what animation the body is in.

3. I modeled several different hairs, caps, hats, helmets, etc in my modeling program. They are all modeled to fit exactly on the loaded head model from step 2. I don't even know off hand how many different headpieces there are, but I'm going to guess about 8 or so. So 7 faces with 8 possible hairs\caps\helmets = 56 combinations now. These are simply parented to the head mesh.

4. I modeled 6 different facial hair meshes that also fit the head from step 2. Now, 56 x 6 = 336 different combinations possible. BUT there is also 5 colors of each facial hair. The combinations are huge. These are placed (or not placed) randomly when the npc is created. This is also parented to the head mesh.

5. The soldiers then have a preloaded shield model and axe loaded or a shield and a lance if they are on horseback. I simply just parent them to the hand bones of the model.

Related to this subject, have you found a way to set the influence of a bone over some vertices with bb code or when writting a .b3d file ?
For example if i want to have a base human mesh (naked) and add clothes with influences of some bones over some vertices ?

I guess I have never tried doing that. I always found it easier to just model the base model clothed.

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#22]
Ok i see, so this means there are several surfaces for each character.

Thanks for the explanations.

Drak(Posted 2012) [#23]
Yeah, and normally there wouldn't be that many animated characters on the screen at one time. I was trying to bunch them up to get a picture with some good looks at the variations possible.

Leon Drake(Posted 2012) [#24]
whoever mows that grass is a freakin master..

TeaBoy(Posted 2012) [#25]
This looks great, it reminds me of Thief using the Dark Engine, I always enjoyed that game! Even to this day!

Last edited 2012

Tom(Posted 2012) [#26]
Shrink those hands about 5% and rotate the wrists backwards just a few degrees.

They all have the same stare, consider adding 2 bones (or you could use even just 1) to control the eyelid vertices, adding control for the default pose/stare for each model, and maybe have them blink? :)

Have different eye colours too.

Good stuff!

TeaBoy: Thief = brilliant series.