Isometric Art

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Isometric Art

Sanctus(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey
For a couple of years now I made isometric art more or less depending n my free time. I noticed that people use a lot of graphics that are not professionaly made.
I don't say I'm an artist (since I'm a programmer) but at least my graphics are mathematically correct.
For example today I remade a tileset of mine with every size/angle carefully calculated so that they fit in the game perfectly.
Take a look at it:

Now the thing is that I'd like to make custom art for small fees but I don't think I can get anyone to trust me without more to show.
So till I get more stuff done I will take requests for free just to show the world that I can actually do some nice work. So please bombard me with requests :)

Oh and I did post something like this a few years ago but now I think I'm better.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
Love it!

Sanctus,

I'm making a Tile driven game for my kids and I can code like stink (not saying I'm the best but... I'm happy with it :) Problem is I'm just not an artist.

My two youngest want a princess kidnapped into space game on as a platformer. Of course, all I can offer is stake in any sales..

Anyway.. there is a downloadable version of TileMax on my web that shows the surface of what it can do so far. I'm likely going to buy TimeLineFX to add flare, the rest of the stuff like Paths, Modified A* Pathfinding, Sound etc just have to be stitched in, but most of the framework is there now.

Anyway... Next! :)

Sanctus(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thank you.
Does TileMax support alphablend? ifso then I can really make them a lot nicer.
Here's a picture with some work in progress

The thing is that you want a platformer so that means no isometric. I could theoretically render tiles that want but I'd have to rethink some stuff.
Since I did say I'll make some free stuff go ahead and say what you want and I'll try to make them.
Also if the sprites are free they are going to be posted here where everyone can see them.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#4]
looks ok, but too much repetition of the tiles. try breaking up some of the large spaces and perhaps make the building less box like

Sanctus(Posted 2009) [#5]
As I said those are still in progress.
I still have to make some variations... even for the ground texture there will be I think about 8 different tiles that mix with the others.
Anyway the walls will be different

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hi Sanctus,

If isometric tiles are what you are brilliant at then maybe what I'm doing isn't for you... otherwise...

I need a main character animated princess, walking, running, jumping, crouching, & flying

I need tiles 32x32 that make a castle with an associated princess mid-evil environment and a space environment. I'm not looking for ultra realism... just to make it interesting and consistent.

Something to keep in mind is that in TileMax, Tiles can be merged to make new tiles, or layered. So a window for example, could be just the window allowing it to be stamped on any other tile. I think the current published editor even does that (Brush Mode: Merge)

Cheers

Sanctus(Posted 2009) [#7]
It would be really nice if you described everything you need more acurate... like clothing, style, size of everything... I want to do a good job so first I have to ask before I start working blindly

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ok, well, the Princess can be any height as it is fully scalable.. so working larger is probably better. The character currently used in TileMax is actually 256x240 but scaled down by 85% ... I'll be aiming for around 64x96 or so.. 2 tiles wide by 3 tiles tall... powers of 2 width/height work best. The best way to describe what I am after is a grown up Dora but in Princess garb... obviously not actually Dora but here is a pic of Dora grown up...

More to come... I'm at work nearing the end of my lunch

Xaron(Posted 2010) [#9]
Hi,

I might be interested in some tile arts for an isometric style game. :)

Rhodesy(Posted 2010) [#10]
I love the iso angle...

I put together a test engine in JS, using some lovely graphics I put together... http://rhodesy.acsv.net/isometric/ With your permission I might change the graphics to use the ones in this post? Just to see what it looks like.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#11]
I love isometric art of this ilk, just wish I'd time to invoke code that could use it.

Sanctus(Posted 2010) [#12]
@Xaron.
Right now I'm booked having to do art and programming for an isometric game.
@Rhodesy
Sure man. Do whatever you want :) They are free
@Blitzplotter
Right now I'm working on my own engine and making an editor for a game (that uses the engine). It will be able to import all sorts of isometric tiles with variable sizes.