Terrain I'm making for a tabletop wargame(render)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Terrain I'm making for a tabletop wargame(render)

Matty(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello,

I'm in the process of putting some terrain together for a table top wargame, so thought I'd do a simple design
on my PC first. Not really related to PC games as such but thought I'd show it off. Still working on some
of the designs though, and am open to criticisms or comments.

from Matt

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#2]
For a second there I thought those red pipes were worms.

WERDNA(Posted 2009) [#3]
wow thats impressive.

My only real critique would be that it is perhaps too shiny.
On the tops of the 3 similar looking buildings the glare is a bit
of an eye sore. Same with the two in the bottom left corner of the
second screenshot.

Thats all that I would really change though, because your terrain looks
really, really , really good!

W E R D N A

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#4]
Looks awesome, however, the three circular buildings on the left's texture seems to have a pattern at a strange angle

Otherwise nice work

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#5]
WERDNA - The glare probably wouldn't be so "glaring" when it is printed out.

Looks good IMHO.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks nice. The lighting is good, not sure if that would be in-game quality?

For some reason it looks like a miniature model, maybe because there is no sense of scale or how it relates to a sky or something.... but if it were to look this small, like a toy model, maybe that would lend itself to toy soldiers or similar?

Oh, since you did say it's a `tabletop` war game, then somehow I think you've managed to create the impression that this is small. Perhaps it's in the proportions or the size of the details.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#7]
For some reason it looks like a miniature model, maybe because there is no sense of scale or how it relates to a sky or something

If you notice the ladders, that should show the scale. It seems like the size of a Medium to Small Counter-Strike: Source map.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#8]
I agree with ImaginaryHuman. When I look at the images, I get the impression of a close up view of a small map, rather than a distant view of a large map. If that's intention, if it's intended to have that impression that you get with a real tabletop game, then it's ideal, but I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.

I think it's caused by just one or two elements. The green thing on the south side, and the two square indentations with round hatches in them both seem out of proportion. Possibly the bacofoil ground texture too.

The section right around the south east corner with step and ladder and fenced-off section, they all look like a big map at a long distance.

(When I talk about south and south-east, I'm referring to the second screen)

Anyway, we're nitpicking about scale, so if that's the biggest criticism we can find, that must mean that the vast majority of everything is looking great. Well done.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#9]
Looks great!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#10]
i got the impression from the first post that this was for a real life table top game and not a pc version and just used as a rough guide.
true alot of the objects seem mismatched in scale the 3 towers look like they have a door in them that would be to the titan style of warhammer 40k and the others regular sized space troopers.

ive only ever seen full on table top gaming like this through the window of my local games workshop and the play area would just about fit over my bed, thats why i liked heroquest and space crucade on the amiga, no need for large floor space or a severly limited playfield.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#11]
You should get a color 3d printer, and just make your tabletop terrain for real, I wonder if anyone has done that yet.. time to google :)

Matty(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hello, thanks for feedback.

This IS actually for a tabletop wargame, a real physical table top wargame. The renders are to be used as the design spec for a real physical model I'm going to have made by a shop near me. It's not going to be used in a PC game.

from Matt

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#13]
I think also the distanace of the camera and the lack of tiny details makes it look like a model.

Can you get it to look as well rendered in realtime?

Matty(Posted 2009) [#14]
Hi ImaginaryHuman - I don't think that I could get it to look as well i real time - unless I baked all the textures/lighting - but it wasn't/isn't intended for real time usage. As said earlier - it is meant to look like a model because I'm hoping to use it as the design spec for a model.

Hi RifRaf - I've looked into 3d printers in the past, but it is quite costly to product things by that way, and the level of detail is still not great. Also - you have to model the objects in a particular manner usually with particular CAD applications, not just any old 3d application. Still it's a nice idea that may become more useful in the future.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#15]
Very nice!!

it reminds me of something but i cannot think what :/ Syndicate perhaps?

Sung(Posted 2009) [#16]
wow Matty, thats a syndicate style - very good

Matty(Posted 2009) [#17]
Here are a few more doodads I've put together...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#18]
jaw droppingly impressive. Sweet.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#19]
Looks great. Regarding scale, i agree mostly. The ladders size, against the size of the guard rail round the top of the 3 circular towers, is quite a bit out IMO.

tsmpaul(Posted 2009) [#20]
Those are some good pics! Which miniatures games do you play? Looks like 40k terrain, but I could picture some star wars Stormtroopers shooting down from the walkways!

Matty(Posted 2009) [#21]
Thanks, - AT-43 (by Rackham) is what we play. Very good system/rules with prepainted / pre-assembled figures.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#22]
You have a knack for making doodads look very nice :D

Being pre-rendered isn't so much of a bad thing, if it's only for static level geometry, Sure, you may have light/shadow effects or what not that wont affect the walls perhaps but that's not necessarily a big deal when it's the not the focus of attention for gameplay.

So long as any character models and dynamic effects are of the same, high quality, then I reckon this could be a basis for one helluva sweet looking game :D

Matty(Posted 2009) [#23]
Hi Malice, not sure if you read the earlier posts but this is not for a PC game, just a design spec for some scenery for a tabletop wargame.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#24]
Oh, I did read it, but musta misunderstood, I thought it was for a comuterised version of a tabletop game >.>

Even so, it's very good :) you get a real lot of feel for the environment!

Matty(Posted 2009) [#25]
Thanks.

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#26]
in the second from last image, the mapping is a bit off on the top right structure. doesn't really describe the object very well.
overall quite nice, bit a bit dark/dirty looking.

never a good idea to render with a pure black background. mid tone is better

Matty(Posted 2009) [#27]
Hi Ruz, thanks for the feedback...what is the reasoning behind rendering with a mid-tone colour as background?

Ruz(Posted 2009) [#28]
I suppose its just a more neutral backdrop, which allows you to judge the tonal range in you scene easier.