Stormblade Tank

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Stormblade Tank

zzz(Posted 2009) [#1]
Not much to say. The tank is from the warhammer 40k universe, more precisely it is fielded by the imperial guard.

Modelled with blender over the past two days just for the heck of it. Render window say it weights in at just under a million polys.

Dont think anyone remember but i did an attempt at this tank years ago and posted about it here. Thumbnails still exist on google images but the actual images are gone.. Must say im slightly happier with this one :D

zzz(Posted 2009) [#2]
Just realized i forgot to do the smoke grenade launchers and some aim-aid thing that is supposed to sit on the front of the turret. Oh well :)

Shagwana(Posted 2009) [#3]
That looks awesome!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2009) [#4]
zzz, I hate you! ; )

There's a very distinctive look to the render which I can't put my finger on. Any hints on how you achieved that effect?

zzz(Posted 2009) [#5]
Its an ordinary "clay render", in this case its a plain white material with no specularity rendered with ambient occlusion and no light sources. If that makes no sense i can elaborate a bit on it tomorrow :)

Yeshu777(Posted 2009) [#6]
Looks great.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#7]
look great+1

Shagwana(Posted 2009) [#8]
From a high polygon model like this in blender, its simple to build a low polygon version for in game use. Complete with normals and ambient occlusion maps to make it look sexy!.

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#9]
Please up the AO samples.

zzz(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thanks for the comments :)

Heres a new render as requested. Im sitting on an old single-core athlon running at 1.6ghz so i wont do anything better than this unless im absolutely sure im done with the model.

[EDIT] I managed to dig up some good reference images on google so this thing is still very much WIP.

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#11]
Ah, that's more like it :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
This looks great!

Funny though, the main cannon is on a turret, but there is no way it could rotate. That is a strange design for a tank, very limiting. :)

I do realize it is not your design, I am not knocking you in anyway, just commenting on the actual tank itself.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#13]
Maybe the turret pops up

zzz(Posted 2009) [#14]
This looks great!

Funny though, the main cannon is on a turret, but there is no way it could rotate. That is a strange design for a tank, very limiting. :)

I do realize it is not your design, I am not knocking you in anyway, just commenting on the actual tank itself.

Yeah ive thought a bit about that too. Tanks in general are agile enough to just aim by spinning the entire tank around but it kind of limit offensive abilities. Could be that the weapon systems are too large or powerful and there could also be no reason at all :)