Tiny Tanks + FastExt (and texturing job avail)

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Tiny Tanks + FastExt (and texturing job avail)

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#1]
Wanted to show some of the results im getting by digging a bit deeper into FastExt.

Im not done digging yet, I want to add some env cubemapping to a few static scenery objects, such as the non textured magnatron (red musroom thing on the ground) in the pic, as well as work out a flashlight type illumination from the tank in its facing direction against the bumpmaps , right now they can have a static specular map and/or global illuminating cubemap (shimmering surface effect). Unfortunatly real time shadows are too large a hit on the framerate for me to justify them, and open up a can of worms for other lighting requirements such as direct x lights would have to cast shadows as well.. too much to worry about for a little gain.

The gig part of this post is that I want my main tank retextured with bump,dif,and specular maps (indie pro quality standard) and / or remodelled as well. Email GameMaker04@... to give a quote for this job. Two quotes pls, one for the texture work, and one for texture and remodelling.

heres the current look

and heres a shot of the tank model broken up to show its groupings, as well as an image of a vehicle i found on the net that has the texturing "look" i want for my tank.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#2]
Wow that looks awesome.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#3]
It might be a mistake to go for a more detailed, textured, bump mapped visual style. The approach you have taken so far - bright colours, clean cartoony textures - seems very effective.

I think that the game will lose a lot of its visual character and charm if you implement the look that you describe. Seriously.

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
The approach you have taken so far - bright colours, clean cartoony textures - seems very effective.
I think that the game will lose a lot of its visual character and charm if you implement the look that you describe. Seriously.
I concur.

Bobysait(Posted 2009) [#5]
If you start using specular, bump etc... you'll have to harmonize with the landscape , the HUD etc...

and, it's also much more memory , much more process time and much more GPU time to involve for machines.

For now, you've got a good "minimum spec machine", and it's accorded to the gameplay. Most of the people can play with a "little PC", and the fun is here.

With more "realistic" look, it won't be fun anymore, it will just become interesting, but not fun at all... as many game that involve recent assets with shaders and many more "gadget features" that just show a stuff, but not a gameplay.

But of course, that is just my opinion ^^

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#6]
And honestly yea it might not make the game better. IMO Unreal Tournament 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV are worse with the "Realistic" junk in them. In Unreal Tournament 3, it just makes it a lot harder to see who or what you're shooting at.

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#7]
Its a visual option, players wont be forced into it. If I could embrace the "toon" style 100% i would be very happy but nomatter what I do in that department it still looks like bland dx7 imo, so im just opening more options to suit varied player opinions.

With more "realistic" look, it won't be fun anymore, it will just become interesting, but not fun at all... as many game that involve recent assets with shaders and many more "gadget features" that just show a stuff, but not a gameplay.

I get that statement, but im not sure how that applies here. I havent modified the gameplay, just added a visual style. I dont think the style is "more realistic" it just has bump maps, and bullet trail lights. Theres no real time shadows, or shaders at all. The new textures were purchased from the Total Textures CD v.15 "toon pack" wich came with bumpmaps, I didnt pull anything from a "realistic" photo asset package. They are all hand drawn toony textures, as far as harmonising things? ive posted more shots below, i dont think ive dropped out of sync yet, but
Again though, you dont have to turn on the "bumpy render" and can play it vanilla still.

I personally like this shot ( http://www.empowergames.com/tinytanksshot.jpg? ) better than the above, but having the option to move the game from one style to another is a good feature I think. I was prompted to add this as well, by one of the few publishers who have taken a closer look at it recently. As an option I think is the best way to do so.

The shots above are intentionally set to a dark "night time" setting with low ambient light, dark close fog, and dim moonlight to test the bullet glow lighting. Here are a couple last min shots i took with the some brighter ambience. They are still pretty toony, and again it can be toggled. When you run it "normal mode" no bump maps or specular maps are loaded so the memory requirements are still as low as ever

NO BUMPING

WITH BUMPING.. minimal change in the overal style i think , dont you ??

Ok, sorry to post so many shots, I wanted to show you the proper lighting, do you still think the bumping is changing the overall themed style of the game? I personally dont see it, but ill admit I find art and the application of themed styles very challenging.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#8]
I think the brick texture there looks out of place. It's a very realistic looking texture and doesn't quite fit right.

But hey, i applaud your efforts. I tried to make a game with toony texture. Absolutely murder so it was. It's a good idea to include different visual style, but i think it's alot of work on your part tbh.

Zeotrope(Posted 2009) [#9]
I think it's the shading, Ross. Look at the walls...no obvious shading or shadow casting. Makes it look flat and 2D

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#10]
You know, when you take a thread like this and comment on it a month later, there is a really good chance that what you are commenting about has already been solved and moved beyond.

Please, stop reviving these old threads, unless you have something to actually add.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#11]
there is a really good chance that what you are commenting about has already been solved

And there's a good chance that it hasn't been solved too. And it's not your place to deny RifRaf the feedback he's asking for. It's RifRaf's thread so let him handle it.

You guys acting like the forum police around here is just plain stupid...

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#12]
You guys acting like the forum police around here is just plain stupid...

Especially ironic that the person "policing" is trying to sell a product to the people he "polices".