Logo for my new game - advice needed

Community Forums/Graphic Chat/Logo for my new game - advice needed

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#1]
He all,

I'm still working on my new game. Today I worked on the main logo for the title screen. I've come up with design that I like (spacey like) but now I need to dress it up. I've worked out 3 ideas. Art critics fire away: which one is the nicest looking and any advice on the logo / colors ??? Any other direction you would think could be interesting?

degac(Posted 2009) [#2]
I like (in that order) 3 & 2

But I dont' know anything about your game, so I can't say if the logo 'fits' or not with you game-design...

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#3]
I can fix that. Here is a screenshot from the game:

degac(Posted 2009) [#4]
Ok, thanks: for me #3 is the best

fredborg(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's not a great idea to split a single word over two lines, it reads like trap ped, which is probably not intentional. I think you should try something slightly more 'star trek' as that seems to fit your game better.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#6]
I hate generic star trek logos but thanks for the advice m8. =]

fredborg(Posted 2009) [#7]
Well, the icons on your HUD are pretty star trek-ish :)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#8]
sniff. now I have to change them :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#9]
Given the type of game I vote for #3.

josk(Posted 2009) [#10]
#3 also.

OwlEpicurus(Posted 2009) [#11]
Another vote for 3, though I agree with Fredborg that you shouldn't split a single word into two lines. Other than that, I like it.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#12]
In terms of pure visual appearance, I like them in the order 1,2 and then 3. However, the first two don't make me think of a space game. The second one makes me think of an underwater game, and the first one just has all the connotations of heat like the desert, volcanoes, etc.

So in terms of which one is best for your game, I think 3 is.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#13]
Nice design, I like 3 and 1 (that order) but hate 2, i think it is the yellow outline.

-although the in-game looks purpley so maybe the orange will be a powerful contrast.

It's not a great idea to split a single word over two lines
Normally i would agree, but for some reason i cannot put my finger on in this case i think it works well.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#14]
#3 for sure. It matches the color of the game.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#15]
Third one.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#16]
Third one.

I agree about splitting up the word, though -- while the logo has a visually interesting shape, it does read a s 'Trap Ped' now, which doesn't make a lot of sense. :-?

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#17]
He, lots of comments, guys. So the pink/purple combination works best for most of you... I'll tweak that combination a bit more, and I will play with the layout a bit.
I wanted to create a bit of a LOGO instead of a TITLE, which is why the shape is what it is... I'll see if I can combine the best of both worlds.
Thanks!!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#18]
3rd one is nice, but before that I agree with Fredborg..you shouldnt split single words in multiple lines exposed as a logo..

GfK(Posted 2009) [#19]
you shouldnt split single words in multiple lines exposed as a logo
Was about to say the same - "trapped" is one word. So unless your game is about trapping mopeds (AKA 'peds), it should probably all go on one line.

That aside, I prefer the 3rd one.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#20]
Mopeds :) I get the message !

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#21]
I like # 3.

Also I love the fact that you have split the word into 2 lines!

joncom2000(Posted 2009) [#22]
No.3 for colors is best

I also dont think splitting the single word is the best way to go, maybe take the word as one and have the bottom half of your logo a view of the ship Like the one that headers your site, since the ship is sort of wedge shaped it might work :)

puki(Posted 2009) [#23]
I think all three logos need shading to bitch-up the 3D.

My view of the logo is the word 'trap' is going into the screen from the letter 't' and the word 'ped' is going into the screen from the word 'd'.

With some clever shading, it could look like one of those 3D eye-twister, puzzle things - if you know what I mean:

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#24]
puki: no 3D for me!

I've been trying some things with the complete name on one line and it looks too generic that way... I'll see what else I can come up with.

Thanks again!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#25]
I like #3

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#26]
It's not a great idea to split a single word over two lines, it reads like trap ped, which is probably not intentional. I think you should try something slightly more 'star trek' as that seems to fit your game better.

QFA

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#27]
What would using #3 style but the whole word as one look like? Just lesson the degree of the pinch

Jur(Posted 2009) [#28]
I like design. Variant #3 is the most fitting of the three, but its hues are the same as backgrounds. If the screen on which this logo appears has also similar palette, then I would try to find some more contrasting colors for the logo.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#29]
With some clever shading, it could look like one of those 3D eye-twister, puzzle things - if you know what I mean:

...which would be the Software Projects logo.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#30]
Yes, the colors are a bit samey in the logo and the backdrop, Jur. So I am going for a brighter logo anyway!

Gfk: you're right, I remember that logo now!

@puki: that triangle is made by Esher. Go look him up on the net.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#31]
I like #4.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#32]
Rule #3, there is no #4. Thanks though!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#33]
there is no #4. Thanks though!

4=1+3

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#34]
selective quoting does not count =]

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#35]
great looking in game graphics. if i had to choose one from the above id say 3. But i think the font and style doesnt really say space to me. Rusty metal lettering in a blue ish tone would work.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#36]
had a play with the title, how about a less done in five minutes version of this?

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#37]
OK thanks Pete. I'm definitely taken all these comments in consideration.

In-game graphics are progressing steadily now though. I hope to show some new stuff real soon

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#38]
dam miss typed the image address. dont shot me for the lense flares ;OP

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#39]
Number 3 too. I'm probably about 4 days too late. To add something though, i honestly didn't read the word trapped. I spent a while thinking it was two words, and trying to make sense of them. And although i don't think your general market is as dumb as me, i think it doesn't work :D

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#40]
Ok, Ross, I'm aiming for all gamers including the dumb ones so you comment is usefull. =]
Well, I'm not aiming for all gamers of course, but at least for dumb-to-semi-intelligent shooter fans. =]

Foppy(Posted 2009) [#41]
Well, I'm not aiming for all gamers of course, but at least for dumb-to-semi-intelligent shooter fans
Where is the link?! ;)

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#42]
Is this better? I kinda like it, I want to keep that 80's arcade shooter feel. I might tweak the purple a bit more though...

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#43]
much better. i still play thrust extreme by the way. its amazing :O)

Reactor(Posted 2009) [#44]
The AA on the under side (of the top part) of the 'e' could use a bit of work, but otherwise a huge improvement.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#45]
Agreed. Huge improvement.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#46]
Love it.. stick with that one

markcw(Posted 2009) [#47]
I like the art style of #3 but the layout of #4, assuming there is no #4.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#48]
@Pete: glad you still enjoy TE! I've been playing it again as well. It's rather good, if I do say so myself :)

@Reactor: I agree. Thanks.

@markcw: Excellent. I'll go with #5 then!

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#49]
If you play around with the lettering a bit you can get something more like this...

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#50]
That's nice, Merx. It doesn't fit the style or mood of the game though. If I were to make something more lighthearted it might do the trick.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#51]
Stick with your last one for sure

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#52]
Did you try bending the word Trapped down instead of up, to match the curvature of the planet?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#53]
It could be going under the planet.... ;)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#54]
You can see the outline of (what I assume is) a planet in the logo. That is what I am referring to. Having the bend go along that curvature, instead of opposite of it.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#55]
Excellent you don't mind if I write a physics based match3 title with the same title do you, just got inspired ;o)!

markcw(Posted 2009) [#56]
No but seriously, #5 is perfectly good, it's better than I could do so I'll um, go away now.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#57]
@Taskmaster: well, the outline is not of a planet, it is just some glossy finish, but I can play with and see if it makes things more interesting!

@Merx: lol go ahead, but remember who had the name first :)

Thanks for ALL the comments folks. Who said that this community is not supportive anymore?

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#58]
Hmm yep but is copywrite based on first to release a product or first to mention said product?

Don't worry it took me ages to release CandyCascade, Qbix, and the current game I'm working on has hit the wall*!

*the wall being that point in the marathon that is game development where you've spent ages on it and yet the end appears no nearer!

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#59]
don't worry, there have been games named 'trapped' before... Maybe I will change it too later on. :)

dmaz(Posted 2009) [#60]
I like the first one the best... the 3rd is -too- close to the game screen in color (at least that screen), so I like the contrast of the first. also, even though it reads like two lines it was different, I'm not a fan of the latest as it's what many other have done.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#61]
hey dmaz, thanks. You hint to something I mentioned earlier by not trying to make the logo too generic. I wanted to do something different. But no worries, I'll find a solution. Meanwhile, I keep coding on the game and see how I feel about it in a weeks time!

markcw(Posted 2009) [#62]
Yeah, like the letters could be squeezed into a shape or maybe just surrounded by a shape that is trapping them. The shape could be a box or a cage or a well or just some abstract shape, kind of like Merx's but without the jumbly letters. Ok, I'll stop now.

JustLuke(Posted 2009) [#63]
I like the latest all on one line logo. It's bright and fun whilst retaining a retro vibe. I'd go with that, if I were you. Good work.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#64]